James Andrews (physician)
|Born||September 1942 (age 72)
|Residence||Mountain Brook, Alabama (Birmingham)|
|Education||Louisiana State University
Tulane Medical School
|Known for||Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center
American Sports Medicine Institute
Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center
James Rheuben Andrews, M.D. (born September 1942 in Homer, Louisiana) is an American orthopedic surgeon. He is a surgeon for knee, elbow, and shoulder injuries and is a specialist in repairing damaged ligaments.
Career and education
Andrews received his degree from Louisiana State University, where he was an athlete, winning a Southeastern Conference Championship in polevaulting. He completed his residency at Tulane Medical School and completed fellowships at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and the University of Lyon.
Andrews is well known for performing orthopedic surgery on high-profile athletes from a wide array of sports and was the subject of an ESPN.com article that praised his talents and listed some of his notable clients. One excerpt from the magazine stated that "[Andrews] is the alpha doc at the center of a sports-medicine network that extends well beyond doctors. Every athletic trainer, physical therapist, strength-and-conditioning coach in the land seems to have Andrews' cell phone number".
He created the HealthSouth Sports Medicine Council and was the driving force behind the successful Go For It! Roadshow. He serves on the medical advisory board for Tenex Health, Inc., a medical device company that manufactures and markets the Tenex Health TX System for the treatment of chronic tendon and fascia pain.
Andrews' list of patients include Carlos Beltran, C.C. Sabathia, Jamaal Charles,Jim Wall, Tom Brady,Albert Pujols, Matt Harvey, Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Emmitt Smith, John Smoltz, Troy Aikman, Ivan Nova, Josh Johnson, Charles Barkley, Roger Clemens, Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Andrei Markov, Bo Jackson, Adrian Peterson, Hope Solo, Marcus Lattimore, Robert Griffin III, Brett Favre, Ryan Broyles, Rajon Rondo, Mark Sanchez, Michael Morse, Jonny Venters, Nerlens Noel, Rickie Weeks, Sam Bradford, Braxton Miller, Dave Batista, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Matt Moore, Lindsey Vonn, Brian Cushing, Navorro Bowman, Kiko Alonso, James 'Jimmy Greek' Theofilos and Rob Gronkowski.
- Jervey, Gay (September 1, 2005). "The Secret Capitals of Small Business.". Fortune / CNN. Retrieved 2007-10-13.
- "Dr. James Andrews: Lessons for the Public From a Leading Pioneer". Shoulder1 Heros. Shoulder1. Retrieved 2007-10-13.
- Anderson, Steve (2002). "Blading for real: Dr. James Andrews—the surgeon to the superstars—talks about how he puts all your favorite wrestlers back together again". Wrestling Digest. Archived from the original on 2007-09-22. Retrieved 2007-10-13.
- Helyar, John (September 20, 2007). "Andrews still surgeon to the sports stars". ESPN. Retrieved 2007-10-13.
- Anderson, Lars. "How Dr. James Andrews went from sports fan to the sports surgeon". Sports Illustrated.
- Farmer, Sam (2008-10-24). "Dr. Andrews says Brady getting better". The Los Angeles Times.
- "Renown orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews updates the WWE Universe on @CMPunk's condition". 1/6/2013. WWE. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Helyar, John (September 20, 2007). "Dr. James Andrews still works on the cutting edge". ESPN.