James B. Norman
As an architectural photographer, he has documented more than 200 of Oregon’s historic architectural and engineering resources for the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) and the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), and was the Project Photographer for the 1999 HAER Willamette River Bridges Recordation Project sponsored by the National Park Service, and for the National Historic Landmark nomination for the Oregon Coast Bridges of Conde B. McCullough.
He has authored, photographed, and produced several books on Oregon’s architectural and engineering heritage (see List of Works below).
List of works
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon (Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) 1985, Oregon Historical Society (OHS) 1989 (2nd ed). A survey of historic bridges in the state of Oregon, co-authored with Dwight A. Smith, and Pieter T. Dykman.
- Portland’s Architectural Heritage (OHS 1991). A survey of the National Register listed properties in and around Portland, Oregon.
- Oregon Covered Bridges: A Study for the 1989-90 Oregon Legislature (ODOT 1988). This legislative study was responsible for the creation of the first comprehensive covered bridge preservation program in the nation.
- Oregon Main Street: A Rephotographic Survey (OHS 1994).
- The Portland Bridge Book, (Urban Adventures Press, 3rd ed, 2006) by Sharon Wood Wortman. The Portland Bridge Book, 3rd ed., received a Silver Award for Regional Best Non-fiction in 2007 from the Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPY)
- Oregon Coast Bridges (North Left Coast Press, 2011) by Ray A. Allen.
- Norman, James B. "HAER Collection". Coos Bay (McCullough) Bridge. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Norman, James B. "HABS Collection". Joseph, Oregon, Main Street. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Oregon Department of Transportation. "HAER Project Team". HAER Willamette River Bridges Project Team. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Cowan, Ron. "Biennial Shows off Oregon's Artists". Biennial Shows off Oregon's Artists, The Statesman Journal, October 1, 1991.
- Seattle Art Museum. "SAM Collections". Self-Portrait. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Cowan, Ron. "New Book Chronicles Oregon's Bridges". Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon Book Review, The Statesman Journal, September 11, 1986.
- Preservation News, NTHP. "Cross Section". Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon Book Review, Preservation News, National Trust for Historic Preservation, November, 1986.
- Staehli, Alfred. "Oregon's Architectural Heritage Book Review, Oregon Historical Quarterly". Oregon's Architectural Heritage Book Review, Oregon Historical Quarterly, Summer 1987.
- Pintarich, Paul. "Photos Outline Architectural Heritage". Oregon's Architectural Heritage Book Review, The Oregonian, February 4, 1987.
- Long, James Andrew. "Oregon Firsts: Firsts for Oregon Past and Present". OREGON FIRSTS: Firsts for Oregon Past and Present. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Ochsner, Jeffrey. "Oregon Main Street Book Review by Pacific Northwest Quarterly". Oregon Main Street Book Review, Pacific Northwest Quarterly, Winter 1996/97.
- Hays, Dan. "Take a Stroll Through History". Take a Stroll Through History: Statesman Journal Book Review of Oregon Main Street by James B. Norman, December 15, 1994.
- Heltzel, Ellen Emry. "The Sunday Oregonian Book Review: Oregon Main Street: A Rephotographic Survey". The Sunday Oregonian Book Review: Oregon Main Street: A Rephotographic Survey, April 30, 1995.
- Snell, John. "Exhibit Looks at State Then, Now". Exhibit Looks at State Then, Now - The Oregonian, August 13, 1999.
- Wortman, Sharon W. "Portland Bridge Book, 3rd ed.". Portland Bridge Book, 3rd ed. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Independent Publishers. "Independent Publishers Book Awards". Independent Publishers Book Awards, 2007. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Allen, Ray A. "Oregon Coast Bridges". Oregon Coast Bridges. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Ostertag, Rhonda. "The Jewels of 101: Oregon's Coastal Bridges".
- Oregon History Project, Oregon Historical Society: http://www.ohs.org/education/oregonhistory/learning_center/dspResource.cfm?resource_ID=FD5206D3-9CB2-A472-52CC618AAFA54FA5
- Oregon Blue Book: http://bluebook.state.or.us/cultural/history/bib02.htm
- Architecture, Architectural History & Historic Preservation in Portland & Oregon - A Selected Bibliography: http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/index.cfm?a=146270&c=44013
- Open Library: https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL588478A/James_B._Norman
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER), Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query