James Barkley is an artist, illustrator, and professor[clarification needed] from Pleasantville, New York. He has received a wide range of commissions across many areas; including children's books, book covers, classic books, advertising, television, newspapers, and magazines, and he has created portraits of many famous personalities and political figures.
Barkley is a professor at the Parsons School of Design and the University of Bridgeport. He has lectured at the Pratt Institute, Marymount College[disambiguation needed], the School of Visual Arts, and the Society of Illustrators, where he has also served as a trustee.
Barkley has created work for the novels of Pearl S. Buck, Stephen King, James Baldwin, and Alex Haley. Among other commissions, he has created artwork for productions of operas The Merry Widow, Madame Butterfly, and La bohème. He has also painted for National Geographic, the United Nations, the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Park Service, the U.S. Postal Service, NBC, IBM, General Foods, PepsiCo, Sony, Columbia Pictures, Esquire, and McCall's.
Outside of Barkley's work as an artist, he was also the co-founder of the Spartan Football Club, a non-profit organization, in New York.
James Barkley Gallery, Impact Arts
- James Barkley | Artists « ArtsWestchester ARTSWESTCHESTER (Retrieved 8 March 2011.)
- James Barkley Biography - Featured Artists - ArtRev.com - Your Ultimate Fine Art Source Artrev.com, Inc. (Retrieved 8 March 2011.)
- Untitled Document Smithsonian National Postal Museum (Retrieved 8 March 2011.)
- James Barkley - Summary Bibliography The Internet Speculative Fiction Database (Retrieved 8 March 2011.)
- James Barkley - Books, Biography, Contact Information jacketflap.com (Retrieved 8 March 2011.)