Bobin in 2014
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer.|
|Children||1 daughter – Madelaine|
James Bobin is an English film director, writer, and producer. He has worked as a director and writer on The 11 O'Clock Show and Da Ali G Show, and helped create the characters of Ali G, Borat, and Brüno. In 2003 and 2004, he directed and co-wrote all of the 12 episodes of Ali G in da USAiii for HBO.
His feature film directorial debut, The Muppets, a musical-comedy film written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller, was released in 2011 and became a critical and commercial hit. The film earned him his second BAFTA nomination at the 66th British Academy Film Awards. He directed a follow-up, Muppets Most Wanted, which was released in 2014. Bobin has also signed on to direct the sequel to the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland.
Early life and family
In 1995, he was the star of the early reality television series Modern Times: Flatmates. He was a member of a household searching for a flatmate, screened on UK's BBC2.
His wife Francesca Beauman gave birth in late July 2007 to baby Madelaine. His father David Bobin is a sports broadcaster currently employed by Sky Sports, and was formerly with SSouthern Television and Meridian TV South.
Bobin received his first BAFTA nomination (British Academy of Film and Television Award) for "Best Comedy Series" in 2000. He also won an award from the Royal Television Society, as well as a Silver Rose from the Monteux Television Festival. He won a Writers Guild of America Award in 2007.
James was nominated for Outstanding Writing and Directing Emmys for Da Ali G Show in 2003, and again in 2005. In 2008, he was nominated for Outstanding Writing, Directing, and Original Music for Flight of the Conchords.
- The Muppets (2011) – director
- Muppets Most Wanted (2014) – co-writer, director
- Through the Looking Glass (2016) – director
- The 11 O'Clock Show (1998) – writer, associate producer, director
- Da Ali G Show (UK: 2000, US: 2003–2004) – writer, director
- Comedy Lab (2004) – producer, director
- Flight of the Conchords (2007–2009) – writer, executive producer, director
- Enlightened (2011) – director
- HBO: James Bobin, Executive Producer/Co-Creator/Director: Flight of the Conchords
- Marc Allan – Fasten Your Seat Belts for Flight of the Conchords
- >> The Producers | Commercials & Promos | Directors | James Bobin >>
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (1 March 2012). "New Muppets Movie Going Ahead, But Without Jason Segel As a Writer". Vulture. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- James Bobin in Early Talks to Direct ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
- "Disney Sets Release Dates for Alice in Wonderland 2 and The Jungle Book". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2013-11-22.