James C. Auchincloss
|James Coats Auchincloss|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New Jersey's 3rd district
January 3, 1943—January 3, 1965
|Preceded by||William H. Sutphin (D)|
|Succeeded by||James J. Howard (D)|
January 19, 1885|
New York City
|Died||October 2, 1976
James Coats Auchincloss (January 19, 1885 – October 2, 1976) was an American businessman and Republican Party politician who represented New Jersey's 3rd congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 1943–1965.
He was the son of Edgar Stirling Auchincloss (1847–1892) and Maria LeGrange Sloan. His uncles were Hugh Dudley Auchincloss (father of Hugh D. Auchincloss, Jr.) and John Winthrop Auchincloss (grandfather of Louis Auchincloss). He attended the Cutler School in New York City, and the Groton School, Groton, Massachusetts; graduated from Yale University in 1908; engaged in financial and stock brokerage business in New York City 1908-1940. He was a governor of the New York Stock Exchange from 1921 to 1938. He served in the Seventh Regiment, New York National Guard from 1909 to 1913; during World War I served as captain, Military Intelligence; deputy police commissioner of New York City; founder, treasurer, president, and chairman of the board of the New York Better Business Bureau. He was a member of the Rumson, New Jersey borough council from 1930 to 1937, and served as the borough's mayor from 1938 to 1943.
He was elected as a Republican to the Seventy-eighth and to the ten succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1943 – January 3, 1965); was not a candidate for reelection in 1964 to the Eighty-ninth Congress. In 1951, Auchincloss founded the Capitol Hill Club in Washington, D.C..
- Birmingham, Stephen (1968). The Right People. Little, Brown. p. 326.
- Buck, Albert H. (1909). The Bucks of Wethersfield, Connecticut. Stone Printing and Manufacturing Co. pp. 120–3.
- "Auchincloss Heads Bureau Again.". New York Times. May 29, 1931. Retrieved 2009-01-24. "James C. Auchincloss, a governor of the New York Stock and member of the firm of Auchincloss Mills, has been elected president of the Better Business Bureau ..."
- James C. Auchincloss at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Political Graveyard bio for James C. Auchincloss
- James C. Auchincloss at Find a Grave
|United States House of Representatives|
William Halstead Sutphin
|U.S. House of Representatives, New Jersey 3rd District
James J. Howard