James Cunningham (director)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
James is a Senior Lecturer at Media Design School, the premier Animation and Visual Effects new media school in New Zealand, where he produces and directs short films with his students. Prior to that he was Head of 3D at Digital Post working on Visual Effects for local and international TV Commercials, and he was a technical director on The Lord of the Rings at Weta Digital. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography and a Master of Fine Arts in digital animation from Elam School of Fine Arts (Auckland, NZ).
Dr Grordbort Present: The Deadliest Game is a live action short film with exorbitant amounts of CGI environments and creatures. It is based on the wild world created by Greg Broadmore.
Das Tub is a live action/VFX short film - a submarine film of Domestic proportions. It won Best Short Short at Aspen Shorts Fest 2011, and Best Director at the Honolulu Film Awards 2011.
Poppy is a CGI drama film set in WWI. It premiered at Telluride in 2009 and won the Grand Jury Prize at SIGGRAPH in Los Angeles 2010, and Best in Show at SIGGRAPH Asia in Seoul 2010. It also screened at Melbourne International Film Festival 2010, Hollyshorts 2010, Palm Springs 2010, SXSW 2010, Stuttgart's ITFS Animation Festival 2010. Back in New Zealand it won Best Technical Contribution at the Qantas Film Awards, and at Show Me Shorts it won Director, Editor and Jury Prize.
Infection competed at Cannes International Film Festival 2000, Sundance Film Festival 2001 and 20 other international Film Festivals. Infection is the most successful short ever made by the New Zealand Film Commission in terms of sales and A-List Festival selection.
Delf was selected for the Saatchi & Saatchi new directors Global showcase in 2000 and won numerous awards. Delf is an acronym for digitally engineered life forms.
- Shelved (2013): director, producer
- Dr Grordbort Present: The Deadliest Game (2011): director, editor, producer
- Rotting Hill (2011): director, editor, producer
- First Contact (2010): director, editor, producer
- Das Tub (2010): director, editor, producer
- Time for Change (2010): director, editor, producer
- Slightly Fishy (2009): director, editor, producer
- Poppy (2009): director
- Infection (2000): writer, director
- Blinder (1998): writer, director
- Delf (1997): writer, director
- Drive, Strawpeople (2000): director
- It's Not Enough, Strawpeople (2000): director
- Signals, Elleven (2004): director
- James Cunningham: Internet Movie Database
- Poppy (2009). CGI performance capture film set in WWI
- Poppy (2009). Grand Jury Prize at SIGGRAPH in Los Angeles 2010
- 3D Animation exhibition at Te Papa Tongarewa, Museum of New Zealand. (Feb 2013)
- Shelved (2013). Official selection for SXSW Film Festival 2013