James Emery White
- Not to be confused with author and theologian James R. White.
James Emery White is the founding and senior pastor of Mecklenburg Community Church in Charlotte, North Carolina; President of Serious Times, a ministry which explores the intersection of faith and culture and hosts ChurchandCulture.org; ranked adjunctive professor of theology and culture on the Charlotte campus of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, which he also served as their fourth president; and author of over a dozen books which have been translated into ten languages.
Mecklenburg Community Church began with a single family and has grown to over 8,000 active attendees on five campuses. The church recently celebrated its 20th Anniversary. Meck experiences over seventy-percent of its growth from those who were previously unchurched and during its formative years was often cited as one of the fastest growing church starts in the United States. His commitment to local church ministry also includes service as Distinguished Professor of Pastoral Ministry at Anderson University, and consulting editor to Leadership Journal.
Dr. White holds a B.S. degree in public relations and business from Appalachian State University, and the M.Div. and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he was awarded a Garrett Teaching Fellowship in both New testament and Theology. He has also done advanced university study at Vanderbilt University in American religious history, and continuing education at Oxford University in England, including participation in Oxford's Summer Programme in Theology.
James Emery White is the author of over a dozen books, including such Gold Medallion nominees as "Serious Times" and "A Search for the Spiritual", Christianity Today book-of-the-year award winner "Embracing the Mysterious God", as well as "The Prayer God Longs For and Rethinking the Church. His most recent publications include The Church in an Age of Crisis, A Traveler's Guide to the Kingdom, and What They Didn't Teach You in Seminary.
In November 2009, White signed an ecumenical statement known as the Manhattan Declaration calling on evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox not to comply with rules and laws permitting abortion, same-sex marriage and other matters that go against their religious consciences.
Dr. White's messages, as well as his blog posts, are featured at www.churchandculture.org. His bi-weekly blog is also carried on Crosswalk.com, Christianity.com, ChurchLeaders.com and Believe.com. He can be followed on Twitter @JamesEmeryWhite.
- The Church in an Age of Crisis: 25 New Realities Facing Christianity (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2012) ISBN 0-8010-1387-9
- A Traveler's Guide to the Kingdom: Journeying Through the Christian Life (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2012) ISBN 0-8308-3818-X
- What They Didn't Teach You In Seminary: 25 Lessons for Successful Ministry in Your Church (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2010) ISBN 0-8010-1388-7
- Christ Among the Dragons: Finding Our Way Through Cultural Challenges (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2010) ISBN 0-8308-3312-9
- Wrestling with God: Loving the God We Don't Understand (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2008) ISBN 0-8308-3363-3
- A Mind for God (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2006) ISBN 0-8308-3392-7
- The Prayer God Longs For (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2005) ISBN 0-8308-3327-7
- Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2004) ISBN 0-8308-3380-3
- Rethinking the Church: A Challenge to Creative Redesign in an Age of Transition (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003) ISBN 0-8010-9165-9