James G. Rickards
James G. Rickards is an American lawyer. He is a regular commentator on finance, and is the author of The New York Times bestseller Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis, published in 2011, and The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System, published in 2014.
Rickards graduated from Lower Cape May Regional High School in Cape May, New Jersey in 1969. He graduated from The Johns Hopkins University in 1973 with a B.A. degree with honors and in 1974, from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C. with an M.A. in international economics. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and an LL.M in taxation from New York University School of Law.
Rickards worked on Wall Street for 35 years. Rickards is now the senior managing director for market intelligence at Omnis, Inc., a consulting firm. On March 24, 2009, Rickards presented his view at a symposium at Johns Hopkins, that the U.S. dollar is vulnerable to attack from foreign governments through accumulation of gold and establishment of a new global currency.
Rickards' first book, Currency Wars, was published on November 10, 2011 by Portfolio, an imprint of Penguin Group. In it, Rickards argues that currency wars are not just an economic or monetary concern, but a national security concern. He maintains that the United States is facing serious threats to its national security, from clandestine gold purchases by China to the hidden agendas of sovereign wealth funds and that greater than any single threat is the very real danger of the collapse of the dollar itself. Rickards explains that the Federal Reserve is involved in what he calls "the greatest gamble in the history of finance," via a sustained effort to stimulate the economy by printing money on a trillion-dollar scale.
Rickard's second book, The Death of Money, was released on April 8, 2014. His website is JamesRickardsProject.com
- Selected articles
- James G. Rickards, "A Mountain, Overlooked" The Washington Post (October 2, 2008). Retrieved May 16, 2011
- Charles Duelfer and Jim Rickards, "Financial Time Bombs" The New York Times (December 20, 2008). Retrieved May 16, 2011
- James Rickards, "How markets attacked the Greek piñata" The Financial Times (February 11, 2010). Retrieved May 16, 2011 (registration required)
- Alumni members Caper 10 Alumni Association. Retrieved May 15, 2011
- "Gifts by Alumni and Friends of The Johns Hopkins University" (PDF) Johns Hopkins University. "Scholarships, Fellowships, Awards, and Prizes", p. 572. Retrieved May 15, 2011
- "James G. Rickards, Senior Managing Director for Market Intelligence" Omnis, Inc. Retrieved May 13, 2011
- Bei Hu, "China Is in Midst of 'Greatest Bubble in History,' ex-LTCM's Rickards Says" Bloomberg (March 17, 2010). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- "LTCM General Counsel: 'The U.S. Stared Near-Catastrophe In The Eye, With LTCM, And Decided To Double Down.'" Zero Hedge (March 4, 2010). Retrieved May 13, 2011
- "Omnis's Rickards Interview March 24 on Middle East Unrest" Bloomberg News (March 24, 2011). Retrieved May 13, 2011
- Kathryn M. Welling, "Threat Finance: Capital Markets Risk Complex and Supercritical, Says Jim Rickards" (PDF) welling@weeden (February 25, 2010). Retrieved May 13, 2011
- "A sneak attack on the U.S. dollar?" Politico (April 1, 2009).
- "Testimony of James G. Rickards, Senior Managing Director for Market Intelligence, Omnis, Inc., McLean, VA" (PDF) U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology (September 10, 2009). Retrieved May 16, 2011
- Book website Retrieved November 2, 2011
- Lori Ann LaRocco, Interview with Jim Rickards CNBC (January 13, 2011). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- Ron Hera, "Interview: Jim Rickards on Inflation and Currency Wars" Financial Sense (February 4, 2011). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- Jim Rickards - "Just like the 1930s" on YouTube. (March 19, 2011). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- "Jim Rickards on Quantitative Easing… Currency War… Inflation… Political Instability" Fiat Collapse blog, with video link to Rickards on Fox News (January 29, 2011). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- Currency Wars on Amazon
- The Death of Money on Amazon
- Currency Wars on Barnes and Noble
- Rickards' Twitter account @JamesGRickards
- The James Rickards Official Website