James Head (fighter)
February 9, 1984 Expression error: Unexpected > operatorExpression error: Unexpected > operatorExpression error: Unexpected > operator|
Highland, Illinois, United States
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||73 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Team||Lovato Jiu Jitsu|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts
James started training at Lovato’s in 2008 and quickly earned a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu after winning the silver medal at the 2010 World Championships as a blue belt. Before James arrived at Lovato’s, he had over six years of boxing experience, and was the Southwest Regional Amateur Champion in Texas. He has since been incorporating Lovato’s Mixed Martial Arts program into his arsenal and currently holds an 8-2 pro record and a 5-0 amateur record as a MMA fighter. James has been studying the art of Muay Thai and is showing his techniques to the Lovato’s Team, demonstrating how to throw a proper punch, kick, elbow and knee.
In August 2009 he suffered his first loss to Jesse Forbes resulting in a 5-1 record. He then bounced back with a TKO win over Bill Albrecht.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Head was expected to face Mark Scanlon on November 5, 2011 at UFC 138. However, Scanlon was pulled from the bout and replaced by promotional newcomer John Maguire Then, on September 28, Head himself pulled out of the fight due to an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Justin Edwards.
Head was expected to face Claude Patrick on July 21, 2012 at UFC 149. However, Patrick was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Brian Ebersole. Head won via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
Head faced Mike Pyle on December 15, 2012 at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale. He lost via TKO in the first round.
Head was scheduled to fight Nick Catone on April 27, 2013 at UFC 159. During official weigh-ins, Head registered 170.25 pounds while Catone failed to make weight, coming in at 173 pounds. Catone was allowed two hours to attempt to shed weight before a second weigh-in opportunity was offered him. He did not re-weigh. Catone was subsequently fined 20% of his purse, and the bout was scheduled to proceed as a catchweight match. The day of the show, it was announced that Catone had been hospitalized for "severe dehydration", and the fight was officially pulled from the card.
Head was expected to face Bobby Voelker on August 28, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 27. However, on July 11, it was announced that Voelker had been tabbed as a replacement for Siyar Bahadurzada and would face Robbie Lawler on July 27, 2013 at UFC on Fox 8. Head instead faced Jason High at UFC Fight Night 27. He lost the bout via first round guillotine choke submission. After the loss Head was subsequently released from the UFC.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||9 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||9–4||Jason High||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||1||1:41||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||9–3||Mike Pyle||TKO (knee & punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||1||1:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||Brian Ebersole||Decision (split)||UFC 149||July 21, 2012||3||5:00||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||8–2||Papy Abedi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||1||4:33||Stockholm, Sweden||Welterweight bout|
|Loss||7–2||Nick Ring||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||3||3:33||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||7–1||Gerald Harris||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Fight Night: Harris vs. Head||February 25, 2011||3||5:00||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||6–1||Bill Albrecht||TKO (punches)||Bricktown Brawl 5||June 25, 2010||1||1:46||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Jesse Forbes||Decision (unanimous)||PB MMA - Live Saturday Night||August 22, 2009||3||5:00||Springdale, Arkansas, United States|
|Win||5–0||Chris Henning||TKO (punches)||TAP Entertainment - Ultimate Fight Night 3||September 27, 2008||1||2:20||Muskogee, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||4–0||Lee McKibbin||Submission (triangle choke)||CW 9 - Max Extreme Fighting||March 9, 2008||2||N/A||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Win||3–0||Eric Bradley||TKO (punches)||Masters of the Cage 16||September 28, 2007||2||1:47||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||2–0||Ruben Escamilla||Submission||Masters of the Cage 14||June 26, 2007||1||2:12||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||1–0||Chance Fine||TKO (punches)||Masters of the Cage 7||December 2, 2006||1||1:02||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
- "Nick Ring vs. James Head added to UFC 131 in Vancouver". mmajunkie.com. 2011-04-11.
- "Scanlon vs. Head To Feature At UFC 138". YourMMA.tv. July 21, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "Mark Scanlon out of UFC 138, John Maguire debuts against James Head". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "James Head out, Justin Edwards in". The Fight Lounge. September 28, 2011.
- "Papy Abedi vs. James Head Slated for UFC's Debut in Sweden". mmafighting.com. January 4, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "Claude Patrick vs. James Head added to UFC 149". mmajunkie.com. May 22, 2012. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Claude Patrick out with injury; Brian Ebersole meets James Head at UFC 149". mmajunkie.com. July 3, 2012. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Mike Pyle says he's fighting James Head at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale". mmajunkie.com. 2012-09-24. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- John Morgan (January 30, 2013). "Nick Catone vs. James Head added to April's UFC 159 event". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Staff (2013-04-27). "Nick Catone vs. James Head pulled from tonight's UFC 159 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- Mike Whitman (2013-06-04). "Head-Voelker to Aug. 28 UFC Card". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Siyar Bahardurzada out at UFC on FOX 8, Bobby Voelker faces Robbie Lawler". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-07-18). "James Head vs. Jason High completes UFC Fight Night 27's 13-bout lineup in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-18.