Dr. Hoare is a graduate of London's School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS). He has long been a member of the Anglo-Korean Society, the Korean Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, and the Royal Society for Asian Affairs.
After Britain and North Korea re-established diplomatic relations in 2000, Hoare was appointed British Chargé d'affaires in Pyongyang; and his work laid the foundation for the establishment of a full embassy in the North Korean capital.
Previously, Hoare had been head of the Foreign Office's North Asia and Pacific Research Group. He joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in 1969 and was stationed in Seoul in 1981-1984 and in Beijing in 1988-1991.
- 2007 - Korea: The Past and Present with Susan Pares. London: Global Oriental. 10-ISBN 1-901903-54-0; 13-ISBN 978-1-901903-54-6 (cloth)
- 1999 - Britain and Japan: Biographical Portraits, Vol. III. London: RoutledgeCurzon. 10-ISBN 1-873410-89-1; 13-ISBN 978-1-873410-89-9 (cloth)
- 1999 - Embassies in the East: The Story of the British and their Embassies in China, Japan and Korea from 1859 to the Present. London: Curzon. 10-ISBN 0-7007-0512-0
- 1999 -- Korea: a Historical and Cultural Dictionary with Richard Rutt. London: Routledge. 10-ISBN 0-7007-0464-7: 13-ISBN 978-0-7007-0464-4
- 1994 - Japan's Treaty Ports and Foreign Settlements: The Uninvited Guests 1858-1899. London: Curzon. ISBN 1-873410-26-3
- 1994 - Nish, Ian and James E. Hoare, eds. Britain & Japan: Biographical Portraits, Vol. II. London: RoutledgeCurzon. 10-ISBN 1-873410-62-X
- 1988 - James Hoare & Susan Pares. Korea: An Introduction. Keegan Paul International. http://books.google.com/books/about/Korea.html?id=_zoOAAAAQAAJ.
- 1994 - "Building Politics: the British Embassy Peking, 1949-1992," in The Pacific Review,' Vol. 7.
- Nahm, Andrew C. et al. (2004) Historical Dictionary of the Republic of Korea, 2nd ed., p. x.
- BAKS: Council
- Kyodo News International, "Britain appoints James Hoare as N. Korea charge," BNET. February 5, 2001.
- WorldCat Identities: Hoare, James