James Holland (footballer)
Holland with Australia in 2008
|Full name||James Robert Holland|
|Date of birth||15 May 1989|
|Place of birth||Newcastle, Australia|
|Height||182 cm (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|2011–2012||→ Sparta Rotterdam (loan)||14||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:03, 28 July 2015 (UTC).
Holland captained the NSW Under-16 side at the 2005 Qantas National Talent Identification Championships in Parklea, a tournament the NSW team ultimately won. He was a 2007 AIS Football scholarship holder and was an influential player in their successful campaign in the Victorian Premier League.
Holland made an impressive A-League debut with the Newcastle Jets playing two games as a short term injury replacement player. He scored a goal against Wellington Phoenix in his first game, making him the youngest player to score in the A-League.
In October 2007 he signed a full-time 2-year professional contract with the Newcastle Jets, despite interest from his home town club and Newcastle's rivals the Central Coast Mariners. Holland had previously made three appearances for the Mariners on a short term contract during the 2006 A-League Pre-Season Challenge Cup.
Holland was part of the Newcastle Jets team which won the 2008 A-League Grand Final against the Central Coast Mariners. He was involved in a controversy during second-half injury time when he handballed inside the penalty area. Referee Mark Shield failed to spot the handball and did not award a penalty. Holland later stated that he didn't feel the ball hit his arm and that it wasn't an "intentional" act.
On 11 January 2009, Dutch club AZ Alkmaar completed the signing of the highly rated Australian midfielder for $650,000 (€350,000) on a four-and-a-half year contract from the Newcastle Jets. He had earlier successfully trialled at the club.
James is an Australian Under-20 and Under-23 national team representative, a striker in this squad playing alongside Marko Jesic, Holland's good friend. He made his full debut for the Socceroos against Singapore in 2008, and was named in the squad to face Ghana on 23 May 2008. He played in the World Cup qualifier against China on 22 June 2008, and was substituted for David Williams.
He has since captained the Young Socceroos AFF U19 Championship after defeating Korea Republic 3–1 on penalties. James Holland was selected for the Young Socceroos Squad for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt, he was also named captain for the Young Socceroos. He scored a penalty in the first match against the Czech Republic in the 94th minute in the 2–1 loss, he had missed the first penalty but it was re-taken for infringement. He was selected as a member of Australia's 2014 FIFA World Cup squad in Brazil. Holland remained an unused substitute though.
|Central Coast Mariners||2006–07||A-League||0||0||3||0||-||-||3||0|
|AIS||2007||Victorian Premier League||24||3||0||0||-||-||24||3|
|Sparta Rotterdam (loan)||2010–11||Eerste Divisie||14||2||0||0||-||-||14||2|
|Austria Wien||2011–12||Austrian Bundesliga||11||0||2||0||-||-||13||0|
|MSV Duisburg||2015–16||2. Bundesliga||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
- With Australia
- AFF U19 Youth Championship: 2008
- International Cor Groenewegen Tournament (U-20): 2009
- Weifang Cup (U-18): 2007
- With Newcastle Jets
- With Austria Wien
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 3. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "James Holland". socceroos.com.au. Football Federation Australia. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Brock, Dom (2007-10-15). "Holland could hang around". A-League. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Ritson, Jon (2007-10-16). "Jet Top Gun Was Almost A Mariner". FourFourTwo (Australia). Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Lucius, Adam (2008-02-25). "Have Mercy On Vukovic". Sportal. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Coerts, Stefan (2009-01-11). "AZ Sign Australian International James Holland". Goal. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- http://au.fourfourtwo.com/News/194217,holland-goes-out-on-loan.aspx%7CHolland Goes Out On Loan
- "Neuzugang für die Zebras: MSV verpflichtet James Holland" (in German). http://msv-duisburg.de/main.asp?reiter=aktuelles_p&mode=aktuell&aid=6618. 28 July 2015.
- Writer, Staff (2008-10-12). "Young Roos Celebrate Silverware". Sportal. Retrieved 2008-10-12.