James J. McCullough
James J. "Sonny" McCullough (born January 11, 1942) is an American Republican Party politician, who served in the New Jersey State Senate from 2007 to 2008, where he represented the 2nd Legislative District.
McCullough succeeded Senator William Gormley, who announced in January 2007 that he would not seek reelection to the State Senate. Gormley had indicated that he will support District 2 Assemblyman Francis J. Blee as his successor, and Gormley stepped down on February 15, 2007. Despite Gormley's endorsement McCullough defeated Blee for the interim spot.
McCullough served in the Senate on the Labor Committee and the Wagering, Tourism and Historic Preservation Committee.
McCullough has served on the Egg Harbor Township Committee and has been Mayor of Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey since 1996, in addition to mayoral stints in 1986 and from 1988 to 1992. He was a member of the township's Planning Board since 1996 (and also in 1986 and from 1988 to 1992). McCullough served as Municipal Utilities Authority Commissioner 2000-06 and on the Zoning Board from 1976 to 1980.
McCullough lives in the Seaview Harbor section of the township. He and his wife Georgene, have four sons, Jim, George, William (Sonny) and Sean, and five grandchildren.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 2nd Legislative District who served with McCullough in the 2006-2008 legislative session were:
- Senator McCullough's Senate Website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed June 20, 2007.
- Tamari, Jonathan. "Beck wins; Dems control both houses", Asbury Park Press, November 6, 2007. Accessed November 6, 2007. "Democrats, however, won two Senate seats in other traditionally Republican districts with victories by Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, and Assemblyman Jim Whelan, D-Atlantic, who ousted Sen. Nicholas Asselta, R-Cumberland, and Sen. James Sonny McCullough, R-Atlantic."
- McCullough receives Senate committee assignments, Press of Atlantic City by Pet McAleer, February 27, 2007.
- Senator James J. 'Sonny' McCullough, Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure form for 2006 (PDF)
|New Jersey State Senator - 2nd Legislative District
February 2007 - January 2008