James Judd (born 30 October 1949, Hertfordshire) is a British conductor. He is a graduate of Trinity College of Music, London. Judd was an assistant conductor of The Cleveland Orchestra, and served as associate music director of the European Union Youth Orchestra.
Judd made his U.S. opera debut in 1988 conducting Don Giovanni for the Florida Grand Opera. Judd was the last full-time Music Director of the Florida Philharmonic, from 1987 to 2001. During his tenure, the orchestra suffered financial problems, and Judd served for 3 months as chairman of the board and donated a portion of his salary to assist the organisation. However, he was also criticised for expensive programming in his concerts.
In September 2003, Judd had been named the next music director of the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra. However, in April 2004, the MPO terminated the agreement with Judd without public explanation, and Judd never took up the post of the MPO's music director.
Judd served as music director of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (NZSO), the first NZSO conductor with that title, from 1999 to 2007. He conducted several recordings with the NZSO for the Naxos label, and led the NZSO in its first-ever appearance at The Proms in August 2005. Judd now holds the title of Music Director Emeritus of the NZSO.
Judd currently serves as the Artistic Director of Miami Music Project, a non profit organization which provides music education to children.
- Tim Smith (1998-02-01). "Raising Florida's Musical Pulse". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Michael Markowitz (2003-09-25). "James Judd Named Malaysian Philharmonic's Music Director". andante.com (overall site now defunct). Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Matthew Westphal (2004-08-02). "James Judd's Contract with Malaysian Philharmonic Terminated". andante.com (overall site now defunct). Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Edward Greenfield (2004-04-09). "Elgar: Wand of Youth Suites nos 1 and 2; Nursery Suite; Dream Children: NZSO/Judd". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Anthony Holden (2004-07-18). "Bridge, Orchestral Works". The Observer. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- George Hall (2005-08-20). "Prom 46: New Zealand Symphony/ Judd (Royal Albert Hall, London)". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- James Judd official website
- James Judd biography and discography at Naxos.com
- NZSO biography of Judd
- CAMI agency biography of Judd
|Music Director, Florida Philharmonic Orchestra
Joseph Silverstein (acting music director)
Franz-Paul Decker (chief conductor)
|Music Director, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra