James Kendall (politician)
James Kendall (17 June 1647 – 10 July 1708) was a soldier, politician and Governor of Barbados.
His family was Cornish, being related to the Kendalls of Pelyn, near Lostwithiel, who for many generations past had been active in the politics of Cornwall and England. In 1866 it was suggested by antiquarian Evelyn Shirley that the family had "perhaps sent more members to the British Senate than any other in the United Kingdom."
He served in the Coldstream Guards until 1685 and became a Member of Parliament in 1685 for West Looe until 1690. He regained his seat in 1695, holding it until 1702. He was elected in 1706 for Lostwithiel, and held that seat until his death. He served as Governor of Barbados (appointed July 1689 and serving between 1690 and 1694) and was a Commissioner for the office of Lord High Admiral. When he died the contemporary annalist recorded of him that he was very "rich". The bulk of his property in Barbados, called Kendall Plantation, with all the slaves, was bequeathed to Mrs Walker Colleton, eldest daughter of Colonel Thomas Colleton, late of Barbados.
- "Kendall & Butler Connections". Acollins.customer.netspace.net.au. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "The Noble and Gentle Men of England: Or, Notes Touching the Arms and ... - Evelyn Philip Shirley - Google Books". Books.google.com.hk. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- "West Looe (Cornwall)". The House of Commons Constituencies Beginning with "W". Leigh Rayment. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "DServe Archive Catalog Show". Crocat.cornwall.gov.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Westminster Abbey:History:Famous People & the Abbey: James and Mary Kendall (Accessed 8 June 2011)
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of England (up to 1707) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|