James MacDonald (pastor)
October 4, 1960 |
London, Ontario, Canada
James S. MacDonald (born October 4, 1960) is the founding and senior pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel meeting in seven locations in greater Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. He is a non-denominational teacher and author.
Education and ministry
MacDonald was ordained at Riverside Baptist Church in Windsor, Ontario in 1985. In 1988, along with a small group of ministry partners, MacDonald and his wife, Kathy, founded Harvest Bible Chapel.
Since 1997, MacDonald’s Bible-teaching ministry has been extended through Walk in the Word, a television and radio broadcast ministry. Further extension of MacDonald's ministry includes a church planting arm of the church called Harvest Bible Fellowship with a training center for pastors.
Harvest Bible Chapel
Founded in 1988 with a group of 18 people, Harvest Bible Chapel met in a local high school for its first seven years. The church moved into a converted warehouse in Rolling Meadows, Illinois in 1995. Two campuses (Elgin and Niles) were added in 2004. Crystal Lake was added in 2007. Additional campuses include Chicago North in 2010 which became Chicago Cathedral in 2012, Aurora in 2011, and North Shore in 2012. Thousands of people currently attend the church.
Walk in the Word
Launched in 1997, Walk in the Word became the outlet for MacDonald's teaching ministry at Harvest Bible Chapel. It was the 2012 recipient of the Billy Graham Award for Excellence in Christian Communication.
Harvest Bible Fellowship
Harvest Bible Fellowship was born in 2002 and has planted many churches across North America and around the world.
Churches Helping Churches
MacDonald is the co-founder, with Mark Driscoll, of the church partnership Churches Helping Churches (CHC), which aims to rebuild churches following natural disasters. As of 2011 CHC had raised $2.7 million toward medical relief and training following the 2010 Haiti earthquake.
- I Really Want to Change . . . So, Help Me God (Moody, 2000) ISBN 0802434231
- Lord, Change My Attitude . . . Before It's Too Late (Moody, 2001) ISBN 978-0802434395
- Seven Words to Change Your Family (Moody, 2002) ISBN 978-0802434401
- God Wrote a Book (Crossway, 2002) ISBN 978-1581346220
- Gripped by the Greatness of God (Moody, 2005) ISBN 978-1415829219
- Downpour: He Will Come to Us Like the Rain (Broadman & Holman, 2006) ISBN 978-0805441994
- Ancient Wisdom (Broadman & Holman, 2007) ISBN 978-0805444285
- Way of Wisdom (Walk in the Word, 2007)
- Restore My Soul: A Fresh Look at Psalm 23 (Walk in the Word, 2008)
- 10 Choices: A Proven Plan to Change Your Life Forever (Thomas Nelson, 2008) ISBN 0785228209
- When Life Is Hard (Moody, 2010) ISBN 978-0802458704
- Always True (Moody, 2011) ISBN 978-0802458698
- Lord Change Me (Moody, 2012; revised edition of the book previously titled I Really Want to Change . . . So Help Me, God) ISBN 978-0802405265
- Vertical Church (David C. Cook, 2012) ISBN 978-1434703729
- Authentic: Developing the Disciplines of a Sincere Faith (Moody, 2012) ISBN 978-0802457172
- Come Home: A Call Back to Faith (Moody, 2013) ISBN 978-0802457189
- "James MacDonald on Preaching Like Jesus". PreachingToday.com.
- "James MacDonald". Moody Publishers.
- "5 Things That Make a Church Compelling". ChurchLeaders.com.
- Murashko, Alex. "James MacDonald's Vertical Church Tour: It's About Getting Back to Jesus". Christian Post.
- "2012 Special Service Awards". nrb.org.
- Phan, Katherine T. "Mark Driscoll Speaks to 50,000 at Christian Rally in Haiti". ChristianPost.com.