McArthur playing for Hamilton Academical
|Full name||James McArthur|
|Date of birth||7 October 1987|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Central Midfielder|
|Current club||Wigan Athletic|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19 May 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
McArthur started his career at Hamilton Academical and was part of the team that won the 2007–08 Scottish First Division title. He made over 190 appearances for Hamilton before joining Wigan in July 2010.
Before joining Hamilton Academical as a youth in 2003, McArthur used to play for Rangers South BC, St Johnstone pro youth, Rangers SABC, Clyde before moving to Hamilton Academical.
Born in Glasgow, McArthur joined Hamilton Academical as a youth in 2003. He made his debut in January 2005 against Ross County. He established himself in the Hamilton team the following season and scored his first goal in April 2006 against St. Johnstone.
Such was his progress that he was given the captaincy for Hamilton against Aberdeen in February 2008 for a Scottish Cup tie and nominated for the First Division Player of the Year for the 2007–08 season. In May 2008 after helping his side to the Scottish Premier League, McArthur was awarded with a new three-year contract.
In the 2009–10 season, several English Championship and Premier League clubs, including Sheffield United, West Bromwich Albion, Leeds United and Sunderland, showed an interest in McArthur. On 5 April 2010, McArthur went on a three-day visit to Premier League club Wigan Athletic with a view to a permanent move in the summer. He signed a four-year contract at the DW Stadium on 23 July for a fee of around £500,000. The move reunited him with former Hamilton team-mate James McCarthy, who transferred to Wigan at the beginning of the 2009–10 season. On 31 January 2012, McArthur scored his first goal for Wigan in a 3–1 loss to Tottenham Hotspur, and followed it up two games later with a winning goal over Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium in a game which finished 2–1 to Wigan. In May 2012, McArthur extended his contract with Wigan until 2016. On 11 May 2013 McArthur won the FA Cup with Wigan, playing the whole game in an 1–0 upset win against Manchester City. However, only three days later, Wigan were relegated from the Premier League following a 4–1 defeat against Arsenal.
He was called up to the Scotland under-21 squad in February 2008. He made his debut against Ukraine that month and his competitive debut against Lithuania in a UEFA qualifier in August 2008.
On 9 February 2011, he was called up as a replacement for Scott Brown in a Nations Cup match against Northern Ireland in which he scored a goal from just inside the box, chipping the ball over goalkeeper Jonathan Tuffey and into the top corner.
- Scores and results list Scotland's goal tally first.
|1.||9 February 2011||Aviva Stadium, Dublin||Northern Ireland||2–0||3–0||2011 Nations Cup|
- As of 19 May 2013
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Scotland||League||Scottish Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2004–05||Hamilton Academical||First Division||6||0||-||-||-||-||-||-||6||0|
|Hamilton Academical Total||168||10||12||1||11||1||-||-||191||12|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2010–11||Wigan Athletic||Premier League||18||0||3||0||3||0||-||-||24||0|
|Wigan Athletic Total||83||6||9||1||5||0||-||-||97||7|
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/07/2010 and 31/07/2010". The FA. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "Premier League Player Profile". Premier League. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "James McArthur". Youth Football Scotland. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Aberdeen 1 Accies 0". Hamilton Academical F.C. 2 February 2008.
- "Dorrans and McDonald on shortlist". BBC Sport. 7 April 2008.
- "Hamilton Accies' James McArthur to visit Wigan". BBC Sport. 4 April 2010.
- "James McArthur completes move from Hamilton to Wigan". BBC Sport. 23 July 2010.
- "Man City 0 - 1 Wigan". BBC. 11 May 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Arsenal 4 - 1 Wigan". BBC. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Double International Call Up". Hamilton Academical F.C. 1 February 2008.
- "McArthur Earns First Cap". Hamilton Academical F.C. 7 February 2008.
- "McArthur plays in u21s win". Hamilton Academical F.C. 21 August 2008.
- McDaid, David (16 November 2010). "Scotland 3–0 Faroe Islands". BBC News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James McArthur.|