James Michael Tyler
|James Michael Tyler|
May 28, 1962 |
Winona, Mississippi, United States
James Michael Tyler was born the youngest of six children on May 28, 1962 in Winona, Mississippi to a retired Air Force captain and a homemaker. He was named after his grandfather, James George Tyler. When he was 11 years old, his parents died and Tyler moved to Anderson, South Carolina to live with his sister. He graduated from Clemson University with a degree in geology. During this time, he was a member of a student theatre group, the Clemson Players. This experience sparked his interest in becoming an actor. He received his Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Georgia in 1987.
In 1988 he moved to Los Angeles and became a production assistant for Fat Man and Little Boy and an assistant film editor. He supports the Lili Claire Foundation and AIDS Project L.A charities. James Michael Tyler lives in Hollywood.
From 1994 to 2004 James Michael Tyler played Gunther on the sitcom Friends. Gunther was a coffee shop worker at Central Perk who had unrequited love for Rachel Green, played by Jennifer Aniston. This led to a ten-year career with appearances in 148 of Friends' 236 episodes; he is the show's most-frequently-appearing guest star.
In honor of Friends ' 15th anniversary in 2009, Tyler opened to the public a Central Perk replica in Carnaby Street, London, open for two weeks from September to October. He appeared in the unaired pilot satire sitcom Nobody's Watching, playing himself as a present from the studio executives on the set of Central Perk.
Tyler appeared in the BBC/Showtime sitcom Episodes (Series 2, Episode 6) as himself playing an ice hockey coach, when Matt LeBlanc tries unsuccessfully to get the other main stars from Friends to appear in the promotional video for the fictional television show Pucks.
- The Disturbance at Dinner as Wilson Pomade (1998)
- Foreign Correspondents as Randy (1999)
- Motel Blue as Oscar Bevins (1999)
- Live With It as Andrew (2008)
- Jason's Big Problem as Blaine (2010)
- 1994-2004: Friends as Gunther (Recurring role / 148 episodes)
- Just Shoot Me! as a Doctor (2000)
- Sabrina, the Teenage Witch as Ethan (Season 5 episode 11 "My Best Shot", 2001)
- Scrubs as Therapist (Season 4 Episode 23 "My Faith in Humanity", 2005)
- Iron Chef America - Morimoto/Flay VS. Sakai/Batali
- iCarly Agent
- Episodes as himself (Season 2 Episode 6, 2012)
- Anger Management as Mark
- Chicane Come Tomorrow
- "James Michael Tyler". The New York Times.
- Thorley, Chantelle (September 15, 2009). "London to celebrate 15 years of Friends with Central Perk pop-up". Event (Haymarket Media). Retrieved September 22, 2009.
- Locker, Melissa (September 16, 2014). "Central Perk From Friends Is Now a Real Place, and Gunther Is There". Time Inc. Retrieved September 16, 2014.