James N. Buffum
|James Needham Buffum|
|14th Mayor of Lynn, Massachusetts|
January 1, 1872 – January 6, 1873
|Preceded by||Edwin Walden|
|Succeeded by||Jacob M. Lewis|
|12th Mayor of Lynn, Massachusetts|
January 4, 1869 – January 3, 1870
|Preceded by||Roland G. Usher|
|Succeeded by||Edwin Walden|
|Member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives|
1873 – 1873
|Born||May 16, 1807
North Berwick, Maine
|Died||June 12, 1887
When Frederick Douglass was dragged out of a train car on the Eastern Railroad, Buffum helped Douglass fight off the mob. In 1845 Buffum went to Scotland with Douglass to protest against the Free Church of Scotland keeping money donated from American slave holders.
Buffum died on June 12, 1887 and is interred at Pine Grove Cemetery in Lynn, Massachusetts.
- Hurd, Duane Hamilton (1888), History of Essex County, Massachusetts: with Biographical Sketches of Many of its Pioneers and Prominent Men, Volume 1, Issue 1, Philadelphia, PA: J. W. Lewis & CO., p. 261.
- Essex Institute (1889), Bulletin of the Essex Institute, Volume XX, Salem, MA: Essex Institute; printed by the Salem Press and Printing Co., p. 156.
- The New York Times (June 13, 1887), JAMES N. BUFFUM DEAD.; A COLLEAGUE OF GARRISON AND PHILLIPS AND A FRIEND OF DOUGLASS., New York, NY: New York Times Company, p. 1.
- Friends' Intelligencer United with The Friends' Journal (June 18, 1887), JAMES N. BUFFUM, Philadelphia, PA: Friends' Intelligencer Association, Limited, p. 398.
- "James N. Buffum". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "James N. Buffum". Find A Grave. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James N. Buffum.|
- New York Times obituary; June 13, 1888.
- Find A Grave
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- The Political Graveyard
Roland G. Usher
|12th Mayor of Lynn, Massachusetts
January 4, 1869
January 3, 1870
|14th Mayor of Lynn, Massachusetts
January 1, 1872
January 6, 1873
Jacob M. Lewis
|This article about a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|