|Born||James Patrick O'Shaughnessy
Saint Paul, Minn., U.S. May 24, 1960
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota|
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO, O'Shaughnessy Asset Management, LLC|
James P. O'Shaughnessy (born James Patrick O'Shaughnessy May 24, 1960) is an American investor and the founder, chairman, and CEO of O'Shaughnessy Asset Management, LLC (OSAM), an asset management firm headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut.
O'Shaughnessy's areas of expertise include quantitative equity analysis, portfolio management, research decisions, and investment models. O'Shaughnessy has authored several books that use Standard & Poor's Compustat database to provide extensive quantitative analysis of stock market performance. O'Shaughnessy has been awarded several U.S. patents for his investment strategies and was recognized as a legendary investor by Forbes.com.
James P. O'Shaughnessy was born and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota where he attended Saint Thomas Academy as a youth. His fascination with the stock market began at an early age when he started to manually track characteristics common to the 30 companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average stock index. After studying international economics and business diplomacy at the School of Foreign Service of Georgetown University, O'Shaughnessy graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Minnesota in 1986.
After graduating, O'Shaughnessy worked for a family-owned venture capital firm. During this time, his interest in quantitative research was recognized by a colleague who was on the Board of Directors with O'Shaughnessy at the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. The colleague suggested that O'Shaughnessy's research might be well suited for pension plan management. In 1988, O'Shaughnessy started O'Shaughnessy Capital Management, Inc. and began consulting to large pension funds and foundations.
In 1991, O'Shaughnessy moved his family to Greenwich, Connecticut to be closer to the New York area, where most of his business was located.
O'Shaughnessy continued to apply his research of the stock market and, in 1994, his first book Invest Like the Best was published, followed by the first edition of What Works on Wall Street in 1997, How to Retire Rich in 1998, and Predicting the Markets of Tomorrow in 2006.
In 1999, O'Shaughnessy started Netfolio, The Personal Fund Company, to offer individual investors the ability to build their own diversified portfolio over the internet. The company was closed in 2001. As part of Netfolio’s concentration on “personal funds” O’Shaughnessy Capital Management sold their mutual fund family to Hennessy Advisors in June 2000.
In 2001, O’Shaughnessy and his team from O’Shaughnessy Capital Management moved to Bear Stearns Asset Management (BSAM), where O’Shaughnessy served as a Senior Managing Director and the executive director of Systematic Equity. In 2007, O’Shaughnessy reached an agreement with Bear Stearns to spin his Systematic team out of BSAM to form O’Shaughnessy Asset Management, LLC.
O'Shaughnessy currently serves as Chairman of the Board for the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and also serves on the Board of Directors for Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and the Board of Trustees for The Common Good (Non-Profit).
Books Authored By
- Invest Like the Best: Using Your Computer to Unlock the Secrets of the Top Money Managers, 1994, McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-07-047984-4.
- How to Retire Rich: Time-Tested Strategies to Beat The Market and Retire in Style, 1998, Broadway Books. ISBN 0-7679-0072-3.
- What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time, 3rd Edition, 2005, McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-07-145225-7. (1st Edition, 1997, ISBN 0-07-047985-2; 2nd Edition, 1998, ISBN 0-07-048246-2)
- Predicting the Markets of Tomorrow: A Contrarian Investment Strategy for the Next Twenty Years, 2006, Penguin Group. ISBN 1-59184-108-9.
Commentary Authored By
- “A Generational Opportunity.” Yahoo! Finance, March 17, 2009. 
- Angenfelt, Magnus (2013). The World's 99 Greatest Investors: The Secret of Success. Sweden: Roos & Tegner. pp. 158–159. ISBN 978-91-86691-53-0.
- Reese, John P.; Todd Glassman (2002). The Market Gurus: Stock Investing Strategies You Can Use from Wall Street's Best. Chicago, IL: Dearborn Trade Publishing, a Kaplan Professional Company. ISBN 0-7931-4595-3.
- Reese, John P.; Jack M. Forehand (2009). The Guru Investor: How to Beat the Market Using History's Best Investment Strategies. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-37709-3.
- Sincere, Michael (1999). 101 Investment Lessons from the Wizards of Wall Street. Franklin Lakes, NJ: Career Press. pp. 20–24, 63, 121, 159–160, 227. ISBN 1-56414-382-1.
- Reese, John P.; Jack M. Forehand (2009). The Guru Investor: How to Beat the Market Using History's Best Investment Strategies. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. p. 202. ISBN 978-0-470-37709-3.
- "Legendary Investor Playbook: Sage Advice To Save Your Portfolio". Forbes.com. 2009-02-23. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- Lipton, Joshua (2009-02-23). "Legendary Investor: O'Shaughnessy's Keep-It-Simple Stocks". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- Reese, John P.; Jack M. Forehand (2009). The Guru Investor: How to Beat the Market Using History's Best Investment Strategies. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. p. 201. ISBN 978-0-470-37709-3.
- "Manager Monitor: James O'Shaughnessy". Morningstar Research Inc. 2002-06-21. Retrieved 2010-03-09.
- Reese, John P.; Todd Glassman (2002). The Market Gurus: Stock Investing Strategies You Can Use from Wall Street's Best. Chicago, IL: Dearborn Trade Publishing, a Kaplan Professional Company. pp. 197–198. ISBN 0-7931-4595-3.
- Mark Ingebretsen (Sep 2, 2000). "A Closer Look at Build-Your-Own-Fund Web Sites". TheStreet.com. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- Robert Barker (Sep 6, 2001). "Netfolio Shuts Up Shop". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- "Hennessy Acquires O'Shaughnessy Cornerstone Funds". Market Wire. Feb 29, 2005. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- Lilla Zuill (Oct 5, 2007). "Bear Stearns manager leaving with strategy intact". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- Suzanne McGee (July 7, 2008). "Stand-Up Guy: From Bear Stearns to Bear Market". Barron's. Retrieved 2010-03-10.
- O'Shaughnessy stock market commentary: archive
- Manager Profile: RBC Asset Management
- Manager Profile: Bear Stearns Asset Management
- James O'Shaughnessy interview: 15th Annual Mutual Fund Industry Awards, Mar. 6, 2008