||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|Genres||Boogie, noise rock, funktronic, hip-hop, electronica, experimental|
|Labels||Stones Throw Records|
James Pants is an American multi-instrumental recording artist. Although his music defies simple categorization, he is promoted as a purveyor of the "fresh beat," an early-1980s sound with influences from 1980s soul, electro boogie, early rap, new wave, and post-punk disco.
He was discovered by DJ and Stones Throw Records head Peanut Butter Wolf, whom he approached while still in high school. When Peanut Butter Wolf did a gig in his hometown of Austin, Texas, Pants left his prom, with his date in tow, to meet him at the show. From there, he interned at Stones Throw offices. After releasing several singles and compilations with Stones Throw, he released his debut album, Welcome, in 2008. His second LP, Seven Seals, was released in July 2009 and his third, self-titled LP was released on May 3, 2011.
- Welcome, CD, 2008 Stones Throw Records
- Seven Seals, CD, 2009 Stones Throw Records
- James Pants, CD, 2011 Stones Throw Records
- James Pants Meets Egyptian Lover, 2009 Stones Throw Records (split 12 with Egyptian Lover)
- New Tropical, 2010 Stones Throw Records
- Stones Throw Records: James Pants
- James Pants Interview Fact Magazine
- James Pants Interview Red Bull Music Academy