||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
James Poyser at the Black Lily Film & Music Festival 2007
|Genres||Pop, R&B, hip hop, soul, neo soul|
|Occupations||Songwriter, producer, musician|
Poyser has written and produced songs for various legendary and award-winning artists including Erykah Badu, Mariah Carey, John Legend, Lauryn Hill, Common, Anthony Hamilton, D'Angelo, The Roots, and Keyshia Cole.
During his career, Poyser has toured, and played live with such distinctive artists as Jay-Z, The Roots, Erykah Badu, and Aretha Franklin. An active session musician, he has contributed to the works of Adele, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton, Joss Stone, Ziggy Marley, Macy Gray and Femi Kuti.
Poyser received a Grammy for Best R&B Song in 2003 for co-writing Erykah Badu and Common's hit "Love Of My Life."  James was also the executive producer on Badu's highly celebrated albums, Mama's Gun and Worldwide Underground.
A longtime collaborator with the band dating back to Things Fall Apart, Poyser officially joined The Roots in 2009, performing live as the houseband for NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and subsequently The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. He is sometimes used as comic foil, especially for his use of deadpan facial expressions. Poyser also tours with the band and regularly performs at the band's live shows.
Production and Songwriting
- Erykah Badu - "Window Seat", "Out My Mind, Just in Time", "Master Teacher", "Back in the Day (Puff)", "Bump It", "Cleva", "Danger", "I Want You", "Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)", "My Life", "Other Side of the Game", "Penitentiary Philosophy", "Sometimes", "Kiss Me on My Neck", "Green Eyes", "On & On", "Afro"
- Mariah Carey - "I Wish You Well", "Mine Again", "When Christmas Comes"
- John Legend - Wake Up!
- Jill Scott - "Cant Explain", "Talk To Me", "Exclusively", "Try"
- Sy Smith - "Deep Sleep", "Do Things", "Bruise", "Drop That"
- Esthero - "Melancholy Melody"
- Keyshia Cole "No Other"
- The Roots - "The Lesson Part III"
- Common - "*69", "Aquarius", "Between Me, You & Liberation", "Common Free Style", "Electric Wire Hustle Flower", "Ghetto Heaven Part 2", "Heaven Somewhere", "Jimi Was a Rock Star", "New Wave", "Soul Power", "The Questions", "Time Travelin"
- Anthony Hamilton - "Corn Bread, Fish and Collard Greens", "I Tried", "Don't Get Me To Lying"
- Corinne Bailey Rae - "The Blackest Lilly"
- Bilal - "Sometimes", "Bring 2"
- D'Angelo - "Chicken Grease"
- Eric Benet - "Love of My Own", "When You Think of Me", "Spanish Fly"
- Lauryn Hill - "Superstar"
- Musiq Soulchild - "Someone", "Mother Father", "Real Love"
- Tye Tribbett - Life
- Al Green - Lay It Down
- Jaheim - "In My Hands"
- Ruben Studdard - "Our Story"
- Eric Clapton
- Adele 21
- Norah Jones The Fall
- Ziggy Marley Family Time
- Citizen Cope The Rainwater LP
- Roy Hargrove Strength
Film and television
- Hawthorne theme music composer (TV)
- Chappelle's Show original sketch music (TV)
- Fame writer and producer of songs on soundtrack (movie)
- The Wash writer of a song on soundtrack (movie)
- The Fighting Temptations writer of a song on soundtrack (movie)
- Baby Boy writer and producer of song on soundtrack (movie)
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard writer and/or performer of songs on soundtrack (movie)
- Totally Awesome music (TV movie)