James Roosevelt Roosevelt
James Roosevelt "Rosey" Roosevelt (March 27, 1854 – May 7, 1927) was an American diplomat and the older half-brother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was the son of James Roosevelt I (1828–1900) and his first wife, Rebecca Brien Howland (1831—1876), who were second cousins. When his father died in 1900, the estate was split between both Rosey and Franklin.
On November 18, 1878, he married Helen Schermerhorn Astor (November 27, 1855 — November 12, 1893), the second daughter of businessman William Backhouse Astor, Jr. (1829–1892) and socialite Caroline Webster "Lina" Schermerhorn (1830–1908). Helen's brother Colonel John Jacob "Jack" Astor IV (1864–1912) perished on the RMS Titanic and was the richest passenger on board. Roosevelt and Helen had two children:
- James Roosevelt "Tadd" Roosevelt, Jr. (August 20, 1879 – June 7, 1958)
- Helen Rebecca Roosevelt (September 26, 1881 – July 8, 1962)
After Helen's death, Roosevelt married Elizabeth Riley in 1914. She died in 1948. Since he and Franklin had never been particularly close, Franklin found himself surprisingly saddened by Rosey's death.
- Roosevelt family papers
- Miller, Nathan Theodore Roosevelt: A Life (1992)
- FDR Genealogy
- Tadd Roosevelt
- Moffat, R. Burnham The Barclays of New york: who they are and who they are not,-and some other Barclays (1904)
- Black, Conrad Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom (2005)
- Helen Rebecca Roosevelt
|This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the Federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|