|Portland Trail Blazers|
April 28, 1990 |
Queens, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school||Cardozo (Bayside, New York)
Notre Dame Prep
|NBA draft||2013 / Undrafted|
|2013–2014||Los Angeles D-Fenders (D-League)|
|2014||New Orleans Pelicans|
|2014–present||Portland Trail Blazers|
|Career highlights and awards|
James Southerland III (born April 28, 1990) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA. The 6'8" forward, an undrafted rookie from Syracuse University, posted career-best averages in scoring (13.3 ppg), rebounding (5.2 rpg) and three-point shooting (.398) as a senior in 2012–13.
High school career
Southerland played for Coach Ron Naclerio at Cardozo High School. He participated in the 2006 Reebok ABCD Camp (N.J.). As a junior, he averaged 17.6 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists for Cardozo. Southerland helped the squad to a 22-5 record. For 2008–09, he moved to Notre Dame Prep. He was rated 87th among the Class of 2009 small forwards by Scouts Inc.
Over his four-year career, Southerland averaged 7.9 points and 3.3 rebounds while shooting .449 from the field and .370 from three-point range in 112 games. With nine, he tied the school record for made threes in a single game, at Arkansas, on November 30, 2012, while scoring a career-best 35 points. Was named Big East Player of the Week on December 3, 2012. On January 11, 2013, in his final season at Syracuse, Southerland was declared ineligible due to an undisclosed academic issue. He was reinstated on February 10, after missing six games. On senior night at the Carrier Dome, he recorded his first collegiate double-double, by scoring 22 points and grabbing 10 rebounds, against DePaul. During the 2013 Big East Tournament, Southerland set records for most three pointers made in a game without a miss (6 vs Pittsburgh) and total number of threes made (17) in a single tournament, while being named to the All-Tournament team. Was selected as a member of the East Regional All-Tournament team during the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
On September 5, 2013, he signed with the Charlotte Bobcats. On December 11, 2013, he was waived by the Bobcats after playing in just one game. On December 19, 2013, he was acquired by the Los Angeles D-Fenders.
On April 11, 2014, he signed with the New Orleans Pelicans for the rest of the 2013–14 season.
On August 8, 2014, he signed with the Portland Trail Blazers.
- "JAMES SOUTHERLAND - 2012-13 MEN'S BASKETBALL". suathletics.com. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "James Southerland's 35 points vs Arkansas were the 10th-most in the Jim Boeheim era". Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- "Syracuse's James Southerland named Big East Player of the Week". Syracuse.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Syracuse basketball senior James Southerland wins appeal". Syracuse.com. February 10, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "In his first start of the season, Syracuse's James Southerland responds with first career double-double". Syracuse.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Syracuse vs. Marquette: Live Score, Highlights and Elite 8 Game Reaction". Bleacher Report.
- "James Southerland Stats". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Bobcats Sign Free Agent Forward James Southerland
- Cats Sign Douglas-Roberts, Waive Southerland
- D-Fenders Acquire James Southerland
- PELICANS SIGN SOUTHERLAND
- Portland Trail Blazers Sign Syracuse Forward James Southerland