Toback on April 28, 2009
|Born||November 23, 1944
New York City
|Spouse(s)||Consuelo Sarah Churchill Vanderbilt Russell (1968-?; divorced)|
Toback was born in New York City. His mother, Selma Judith (née Levy), was a President of The League of Women Voters and a moderator of political debates on NBC. His father, Irwin Lionel Toback, was a stockbroker and former Vice-President of Dreyfus & Company. Toback graduated from The Fieldston School in 1963 and from Harvard College, magna cum laude, in 1966.
After graduating from Harvard, Toback worked as a journalist. An assignment from Esquire on football player Jim Brown led to collaboration on Jim: The Author's Self-Centered Memoir of the Great Jim Brown.
In 1974, Toback's screenplay The Gambler was produced. Much of the film was shot at City College. His directorial début was the 1978 film Fingers, remade twenty-eight years later by Jacques Audiard as The Beat That My Heart Skipped. Toback followed Fingers with Love and Money in 1982. Toback wrote and directed Exposed in 1983, and in 1989, Toback directed the documentary The Big Bang.
Toback wrote the original screenplay for Bugsy, which won the Golden Globe for Best Picture and was nominated for ten Academy Awards. Toback won the Los Angeles Film Critics' Award for Best Original Screenplay and a similar award from the readers of Premiere Magazine.
In 1998, Toback wrote and directed the comedy Two Girls and a Guy, and in 2000, he wrote and directed Black and White in collaboration with members of Wu-Tang Clan. He then wrote and directed Harvard Man starring Adrien Grenier in 2002. In 2004, Toback wrote and directed When Will I Be Loved and in 2009, Toback directed Tyson, a documentary about boxer Mike Tyson.
The 2006 documentary The Outsider is about Toback and his work.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2008)|
- The Gambler (1974) - Writer
- Fingers (1978) - Writer/Director
- Love and Money (1982) - Writer/Director/Producer
- Exposed (1983) - Writer/Director/Producer
- The Pick-up Artist (1987) - Writer/Director
- The Big Bang (1989) - Writer/Director
- Bugsy (1991) - Writer
- Two Girls and a Guy (1998) - Writer/Director
- Black and White (1999) - Writer/Director
- Harvard Man (2001) - Writer/Director
- When Will I Be Loved (2004) - Writer/Director
- Tyson (2008) - Writer/Director/Producer
- Exposed (1983)... Leo Boscovitch
- Alice (1990)... Professor Davis
- Bugsy (1991)... Gus Greenbaum
- Black and White (1999)... Arnie Tishman
- Death of a Dynasty (2003)... Lyor Cohen
- When Will I Be Loved (2004)... Professor Hassan Al-Ibrahim Ben Rabinowitz
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: James Toback|
- James Toback at the Internet Movie Database
- In-depth interview with Toback about "Tyson" at everhip.com
- Gawker article, James Toback Strikes Again