|Birth name||James Vasanthan|
|Occupation(s)||Music composer, TV anchor|
|Years active||2008–present (As film composer)|
James Vasanthan is a popular Indian television (Tamil) anchor and a film music composer. For more than a decade, he has worked as an anchor in popular Tamil satellite television channels like Sun TV, Vijay TV and Makkal TV before turning into a film music composer in the Tamil Film Industry.
James Vasanthan was born in Tiruchirapalli (Trichy), studied first at YWCA Primary School (Presently BHEL Matric) and later at Bishop Heber Hr Sec School (Teppakulam) and later graduated in English literature in Bishop Heber College, and then did his PG in English in Jamal Mohammad College. Later, he graduated in Carnatic music from Madras University and in Western music from Trinity College, U.K. He holds a diploma in Pianoforte, Guitar and Theory of Music. Though music was his "first love", he forayed into television as an anchor in SUN TV.
In 2003,Vasanthan released a pop album titled "Vasanai", only to exhibit himself as a composer. which was not known to many until then. Even before that, he had composed music for many good Christian cassettes numbering around 300. He still continues to arrange music for many gospel productions. In 2008, he eventually entered the Chennai film industry as a music director by composing the songs and score for the Tamil film Subramaniyapuram, directed by M. Sasikumar, who was a student at St.Peter's Public School in Kodaikanal, where James Vasanthan went to teach music after his post-graduation. This film 'Subramaniyapuram' which went on to become a blockbuster brought him into prominence with the film's songs and background score gaining fame and being praised and the song "Kangal Irandal" topping the charts and being cited as the "anthem of the year among the youth".
|2008||Subramaniyapuram||Ananthapuram 1980 (Telugu)||Winner, Vijay Award for Best Find of the Year
Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award (Tamil)
|Kavalar Kudiyiruppu||Police Quarters (Kannada)|
|2010||Eesan||Winner, Vijay music awards for Best Folk Song of the year.|
|2013||Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA|
- "Artist — James Vasanthan Is A Great Composer". Musicplug.in. 30 May 2007. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "TV stars get musical". The Hindu. 11 June 2003. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Metro Plus Tiruchirapalli / People : On a different role". The Hindu. 16 February 2008. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- 'Vaasanai' – launched with 'Narumanam'. Chennai Online. 5 March 2010
- Interview with James Vasanthan and Uma Padmanabhan. Chennai Online. 13 July 2003
- "SUBRAMANIAPURAM DIRECTOR SASIKUMAR INTERVIEW — Behindwoods". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Subramaniapuram Music Review songs lyrics". IndiaGlitz. 28 May 2008. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "SUBRAMANIAPURAM MUSIC REVIEW — Behindwoods". Behindwoods. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "James Vasanthan's next". IndiaGlitz. 24 December 2008. Retrieved 13 March 2012.