James W. Sire
Born on a ranch on the rim of the Nebraska Sandhills, James W. Sire has been an officer in the Army, a college professor of English literature, philosophy and theology, the chief editor of InterVarsity Press (a Christian publisher of books for thoughtful readers), a lecturer at over two hundred universities in the U.S., Canada, Eastern and Western Europe and Asia, and the author of twenty books on literature, philosophy and the Christian faith. His book The Universe Next Door, published in 1976 and now in its fifth edition, has sold over 350,000 copies and has been translated into 19 foreign languages. He holds a B.A. in chemistry and English from the University of Nebraska, an M.A. in English from Washington State College (now University) and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Missouri. His most recent publication is Rim of the Sandhills an eBook memoir of life on the ranch, in the military in Korea, at the university, in publishing and lecturing in three of the five continents. It traces his early coming to faith and his gradual development of a mature apologetic for the Christian faith.
His books include:
- Rim of the Sandhills (eBook on Kindle, 2012) ISBN 978-0-9858929-0-6 Memoir beginning with the author's growing up on a ranch in Nebraska and tracing his education, career as editor and international lecturer/apologist for the Christian faith.
- Deepest Differences (IVP 2009), with Carl Peraino. ISBN 978-0-8308-3358-0.
- The Universe Next Door ISBN 978-0-8308-2780-0. Over 350,000 in print  now in its fifth edition and translated into 20 languages.
- Scripture Twisting (IVP, 1980)
- Discipleship of the Mind, (IVP, 1990) "How do we love God with all our minds? A serious look at the academic enterprise from a Christian perspective. Very helpful and thought-provoking"
- Chris Chrisman Goes to College (IVP, 1993)
- Why Should Anyone Believe Anything at All? (IVP, 1994)
- Habits of the Mind: Intellectual Life as a Christian (IVP, 2001)
- Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept (IVP, 2004)
- Learning to Pray Through the Psalms(IVP, 2005)
- Why Good Arguments Often Fail (IVP, 2006)
- Václav Havel (IVP, 2001)(a biography of the Czech Republic's former philosopher-president)
- Praying the Psalms of Jesus (IVP, 2007)
- A Little Primer on Humble Apologetics (IVP, 2006)