James White (theologian)
James Robert White (born December 17, 1962) is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, an evangelical Reformed Christian apologetics organization based in Phoenix, Arizona. He is the author of more than 20 books and has engaged in numerous moderated debates.
White is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, a presuppositional apologetics organization based in Phoenix, Arizona. He received a BA from Grand Canyon College, an MA from Fuller Theological Seminary, and a ThM, a ThD and a DMin from Columbia Evangelical Seminary (formerly Faraston Seminary) He has served as a professor of Greek, Hebrew, systematic theology, and various apologetics topics at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary's extension campus in Arizona and the Columbia Evangelical Seminary. an unaccredited distance-learning school. He is also a critical consultant for the Lockman Foundation's New American Standard Bible,
White is an avid debater, having participated in over 100 public moderated debates, covering topics such as Calvinism, Roman Catholicism, Islam, Mormonism, the King James Only movement, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Atheism. His debate opponents have included scholars such as Bart Ehrman, John Dominic Crossan, and Marcus Borg and popularizers such as Dan Barker and John Shelby Spong.
White has also been an elder of Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church in Phoenix, AZ, since 1998.
He is married and he and his wife have two children. He also has one granddaughter.
Ergun Caner controversy
White, an outspoken critic of Ergun Caner, led the way in exposing Caner's inconsistent recollection of past experiences. On May 10, 2010, Liberty University conducted a formal inquiry which would ultimately result in the removal of Caner as Dean of the seminary. White continues to be a vocal critic of both Caner and Norman Geisler, a popular defender of Caner's testimony.
- Justification by Faith, Crowne Publications, 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-40-8
- 'Answers to Catholic Claims: A Discussion of Biblical Authority, Crowne Publications, 1 January 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-36-1
- God's Sovereign Grace, Crowne Publications, 1 April 1991, ISBN 978-0-925703-41-5
- Letters to a Mormon Elder, Crowne Publications, 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-59-0
- The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?, Baker Books, 1995, ISBN 978-1-55661-575-7
- The Roman Catholic Controversy, Baker Publishing Group, 1 August 1996, ISBN 978-1-55661-819-2
- Grieving: Your Path Back to Peace, Baker Publishing Group, 1 October 1997, ISBN 978-0-7642-2000-5
- Is the Mormon My Brother?: Discerning the Differences Between Mormonism and Christianity, Bethany House Publishers, 1997, ISBN 978-1-55661-714-0
- Johnson, Kevin; White, James (15 June 1998), What's with the dudes at the door?, Bethany House Publishers, ISBN 978-0-7642-2070-8
- Mary: Another Redeemer?, Bethany House Publishers, 1998, ISBN 978-0-7642-2102-6
- The Forgotten Trinity, Baker Publishing Group, 1 November 1998, ISBN 978-1-55661-725-6
- Johnson, Kevin; White, James (1 October 1999), What's With the Mutant in the Microscope: Stuff to Know When Science Says Your Uncle Is a Monkey, Bethany House Publishers, ISBN 978-0-7642-2187-3
- The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and Reply Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free, Calvary Press, 22 August 2007, ISBN 978-1-879737-43-3
- The God who Justifies, Bethany House Publishers, 2001, ISBN 978-0-7642-2288-7
- White, James; Niell, Jeff (1 April 2002), The Same Sex Controversy: Defending and Clarifying the Bible's Message About Homosexuality, Baker Publishing Group, ISBN 978-0-7642-2524-6
- Hunt, Dave; White, James (2004), Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views, Multnomah Publishers, ISBN 978-1-59052-273-8
- Akin, Daniel; Garrett, James; Reymond, Robert; White, James; Zahl, Paul (2004), Brand, Chad; Norman, R, eds., Perspectives on Church Government: Five Views of Church Polity, B&H Publishing Group, pp. 278–, ISBN 978-0-8054-2590-1
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible's Accuracy, Authority and Authenticity, Baker Publishing Group, 1 October 2004, ISBN 978-0-7642-2048-7
- Pulpit Crimes, Solid Ground Christian Books, 1 October 2006, ISBN 978-1-59925-090-8
- From Toronto to Emmaus the Empty Tomb and the Journey from Skepticism to Faith, Solid Ground Christian Books, 1 March 2007, ISBN 978-1-59925-112-7
- "Is the Bible True?" vs. Robert M. Price, May 2010, aboard ship on the Carnival Legend
- "Did the Bible Misquote Jesus?" vs. Bart Ehrman, January 2009, aboard ship on the Celebrity Century
- "Is Homosexuality Compatible with Authentic, Biblical, Orthodox Christianity?" vs. John Shelby Spong, November 2006, Orlando, FL
- "Is the New Testament We Possess Today Inspired?" vs. Shabir Ally, May 2006, La Mirada, CA
- "The Resurrection of Jesus Christ", vs. Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan (with James Renihan), August 2005, aboard ship on the Sun Princess
- "Is the Orthodox, Biblical Account of Jesus of Nazareth Authentic & Historically Accurate?", vs. John Dominic Crossan, August 2005, Seattle, WA
- "Are Roman Catholics Our Brothers and Sisters in Christ?", vs. Douglas Wilson, November 2004, Los Angeles
- "Is Homosexuality Consistent with Biblical Christianity", vs. Barry Lynn, May 2001, Long Island, NY
- "The Papacy", vs. Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ, May 1998, Long Island, NY
- "Sola Scriptura", vs. Gerry Matatics, August 1990, Long Beach, CA
- "A Brief History of CES", http://www.columbiaseminary.org (Columbia Evangelical Seminary), 2012, retrieved 2014-05-12
- "The Faculty", http://www.columbiaseminary.org (Columbia Evangelical Seminary), 2012, retrieved 2014-05-12
- "Accreditation", http://www.columbiaseminary.org (Columbia Evangelical Seminary), 2012, retrieved 2014-05-12
- "NASB, Amplified, LBLA, and NBLH Bibles", http://www.lockman.org (The Lockman Foundation), 2014, retrieved 2014-05-12
- "James White", http://www.aomin.org/ (Alpha and Omega Ministries), 2014, retrieved 2014-05-12
- "2006 Alpha and Omega National Conference", http://www.sovereigncruises.org/ (Sovereign Crusies), retrieved 2014-05-12
- "Our Elders", http://www.prbc.org/ (Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church), 2011, retrieved 2014-05-12
- Kennedy, John (3 May 2010), "Bloggers Target Seminary President", Christianity Today, retrieved 2014-05-12
- Kennedy, John (2 July 2010). "Ergun Caner Out as Seminary Dean". Christianity Today. Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- Geisler, Norman, "In Defense of Dr. Ergun Caner", http://www.normangeisler.net/, retrieved 2014-05-12