Jamia Millia Islamia
|Jamia Millia Islamia|
|جامیہ ملیہ اسلامیہ|
|Motto||Allammal Insaana Maalam Yalam (He Taught man what he knew not)|
|Chancellor||Lt. Gen. (Retd) M. A. Zaki|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. S. M. Sajid (officiating)|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Jamia Millia Islamia (Urdu: جامعہ ملیہ اسلامیہ, Hindi: जामिया मिलिया इस्लामिया, translation: National Islamic University ) is a public central university located in Delhi. It was established at Aligarh in United Provinces, India during British rule in 1920. It became a Central University by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1988. It reflects the original convern of its founders which was to encourage the indigenous roots of education. It has cherished and has continued to encourage a critical appreciation of the country's history and cultural and the history of Islam with its cultural and intellectual traditions. It seeks to foster a national and cosmopolitan perspective. It has kept itself abreast with development in Education, Social Science, Natural Science, Engineering and Technology. The university attracts a large number of students not only from India but also from several other countries. Its alumni include eminent Academicians, Scientists, Administrators, Artists, Researchers and Professionals.
- 1 History
- 2 Faculties
- 3 Centers
- 4 Schools
- 5 Library
- 6 Notable Alumni
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The University was established in Aligarh by Muslim leaders in 1920, during the Khilafat Movement and Non-Cooperation Movement in response to Mahatma Gandhi's call to boycott government supported educational institutions. Among the founding leaders who nurtured it through the changing vicissitudes of history at great personal risk and inconvenience, the main personalities were the,
- Ali Brothers, i.e. Maulana Mohammad Ali Jouhar and Maulana Shaukat Ali.
- Dr Zakir Hussain was the first Vice Chancellor who took over in its turbulent times and guided it through with all the difficulties Jamia faced. After his death, he was buried in the campus of the University and his mausoleum is open to the public.
- Dr. Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari, who later on became the Vice Chancellor. The main auditorium of the University is dedicated to him and is named after him.
- Shaikul Hind Maulana Mahmud Hasan
- Abdul Majeed Khwaja
- Abid Hussain
- Hakim Ajmal Khan
- Mohammad Mujeeb, under whose leadership Jamia became a Deemed University
Jamia moved from Aligarh to Delhi in 1925. Since then, it has been continuously growing, refurbishing its method and branching out from time to time to meet new needs. True to the ideals of its founders, it has tried to integrate the physical and mental developments of its students. The Campus is distributed over a large area. Many of its buildings are being modernized. Greenery is supported and advocated. Jamia was accorded the status of a Central University by act of the parliament vide the Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988 (no. 59 of 1988) in December 1988.
Jamia Millia Islamia has 9 Faculties under which it offers academic and extension programs:
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Established in 1985 with the departments of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering departments. It has added the departments of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Humanities (1996) and has five engineering departments— Applied Sciences & Humanities, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communications, Mechanical Engineering—and a University Polytechnic. These departments also conduct many projects sponsored various agencies. The faculty offers regular courses and continuing programmes.
The faculty has SEVEN departments —
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Applied Sciences
- Electronics Engineering
- Computers Science and Engineering
— offering programmes in PhD, M.Tech., B.Tech (FT) and M. Tech (PT)
The University Polytechnic also falls under the purview of the Faculty of Engineering and Technology. The University Polytechnic offers Diploma in Engineering programmes in Civil, Electronics, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering in both regular as well as part time modes.
Faculty of Architecture & Ekistics
This faculty has the Department of Architecture and it offers the following programs
- B.Arch (Regular and Self-Financing)
Faculty of Humanities and Languages
The faculty has nine departments -
- English and Modern European Languages
- Tourism and Hospitality
- History and Culture
- Islamic Studies
- Turkish Language & Literature
offering programmes in PhD, M.Phil. (pre-PhD), postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma and certificate courses.
Faculty of Fine Arts
This faculty has six departments
- Applied Arts
- Art Education
- Graphic Art
- Art History & Art Appreciation
Offering prorammes in PhD, Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.), Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Diploma and Certificate courses.
Beside these, the campus has an art gallery named after the Indian painter M.F. Husain
Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty has seven departments
- Adult & Continuing Education
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Commerce & Business Studies
The Faculty of Social Science is based around Gulistan-e-Ghalib, and is commonly addressed as the Main Campus.
Faculty of Natural Sciences
This faculty has 7 departments -
- Computer Science
Faculty of Education
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to budding teachers through its two departments
- Educational Studies
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Education (Formerly Dept of Teacher Training and Non Formal Education)
Faculty of Dentistry
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to budding dentists through a five year BDS program
AJK Mass Communication Research Center
The Mass Communication Research Centre was established in 1982 by Anwar Jamal Kidwai, then vice-chancellor (later chancellor) of Jamia Millia Islamia. Jamia is today known primarily for these mass communication courses.
Besides these faculties, there are twenty centres of learning and research. Notable among these is the MA in Mass Communication offered by the AJK Mass Communication and Research Center:
- FTK-Centre for Information Technology An internet facility is available for the faculty members, staff, research scholars, and students.
- Dr. Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies
- Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar Academy of Third World Studies
- Centre for Distance and Open Learning
- Centre for Management Studies
- Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru Studies
- Centre for the Study of Comparative Religions and Civilizations
- Centre for West Asian Studies
- Dr. K. R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies
- Centre for Spanish and Latin American Studies
- Centre for Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Academy of Professional Development of Urdu Medium Teachers
- Academic Staff College
- Barkat Ali Firaq State Resource Centre
- Centre for Coaching and Career Planning
- Centre for Culture Media and Governance
- Centre for Gandhian Studies
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Basic Sciences
- Centre for Theoretical Physics
- Child Guidance Centre
- India – Arab Cultural Centre
- Jamia's Premchand Archives and Literary Centre
- Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women's Studies
- University Counseling and Guidance Centre
- Centre for Early Childhood Development and Research
Jamia Millia Islamia also imparts education from Nursery to Senior Secondary level. It maintains the Nursery School, Middle School, Senior Secondary School.
The main central library of the University is known as Dr Zakir Husain Library with its collection of about 400,000 artefacts—including books, microfilms, periodicals volumes, manuscripts, and rare books. Certain halls are dedicated to them. The library is open to all bonafide students of Jamia. Beside this, there are subject wise collection in libraries of some faculties and centres.
- Shah Rukh Khan – Bollywood actor
- Virender Sehwag – Indian Cricketer
- Barkha Dutt – NDTV editor / Journalist
- Kabir Khan – Film director
- Kiran Rao – Film producer / director / actor
- Anjana Om Kashyap - Aaj Tak editor / Journalist
- Danish Aslam– Film director
- Roshan Abbas – RJ / Film director
- Habib Faisal – Film writer / director
- Gagan Ajit Singh - International Hockey Player
- Muzammil Ibrahim – Model / actor
- Mohammad Hossein Adeli - Gas Exporting Countries Forum
- Loveleen Tandan - film director
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Education in Delhi
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988
- Firdous, Tairah (13 March 2012). "Jamia's vice chancellor focuses on quality programmes over expansion". Daily Mail. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- According to their own site. About MCRC, retrieved 2 April 2010.
- From Full list of Faculties/Centres
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association
- Faculty Of Engineering & Technology Jamia Millia Islamia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamia Millia Islamia.|