|Born||James Ira Gurman
April 20, 1943
New York City, New York, USA
|Died||February 19, 2010
New York City, New York USA
|Other names||Al Cianelli, Jamier Kantor, Jaime Gillis, Jaimie Gillis, Jaimi Gillis, Jamey Gillis, Jamie Grill, Buster Hymen, Jamey, James Kleeman, Ronny Morgan, Barry Gillis|
|Ethnicity||Dutch Jewish|
Gillis was born in New York City into a Jewish family and graduated from Columbia University. His parents named him Jamie after the Tyrone Power character in the film The Black Swan (1942), and he took the name Gillis from the girlfriend he was living with when he made his first films.
He appeared in more than 470 movies as an actor." He also directed several adult movies. Openly bisexual, he appeared in many gay porn films, including a sex scene with Zebedy Colt in the 1975 bisexual film The Story Of Joanna. Gillis also appeared in the mainstream Hollywood film Nighthawks (1981) as the boss of Lindsay Wagner's character.
He was a pioneer in the pornographic style known as Gonzo. In addition to starring in the first Buttman film, he also created the influential On The Prowl series. Featuring a porn star who rides in a limo looking for regular guys to have sex with, the video series was very popular and inspired a scene in the movie Boogie Nights. He also co-produced the popular Dirty Debutante series with fellow director and performer Ed Powers, as well as the Walking Toilet Bowl series of films that focused on golden showers and coprophilia.
Gillis died on February 19, 2010 in New York City from melanoma, which was diagnosed four or five months earlier. In an audio interview given to The Rialto Report shortly before his death, Gillis stated that in the 1970s he'd wanted his ashes to be scattered in Times Square, but years later he changed his mind as "clean Times Square would contaminate them".
As an actor, selected
- Die You Zombie Bastards! (2005)
- Sunset Stripped (2002)
- New Wave Hookers 5 (1997)
- Alien Space Avenger (1989)
- Taboo IV (1985)
- Sensual Fire (1979)
- A Coming of Angels (1977)
- Through the Looking Glass (1976)
- WaterPower (1976)
- The Opening of Misty Beethoven (1976)
- Oriental Blue (1976)
- Deep Throat Part II (1974)
- Night of the Zombies (1981?)
As a director, selected
- Devious Old Gillis (1998)
- Back on the Prowl (1998)
- Back on the Prowl 2 (1998)
- Punished Sex Offenders (1990)
- Takeout Torture (1990)
- On the Prowl (1989)
- 1976 AFAA Best Actor for The Opening of Misty Beethoven
- 1977 AAFA Best Actor for Coming of Angels
- 1979 AAFA Best Actor for Ecstasy Girls
- 1982 AFAA Best Supporting Actor for Roommates
- 1984 XRCO Best Kinky Scene for Insatiable II
- 1987 XRCO Best Actor for Deep Throat 2
- 1987 XRCO Best Supporting Actor for Babyface 2
- 1989 AVN Best Supporting Actor – Film for Pretty Peaches 2
- 1989 XRCO Best Actor for Second Skin
- 1997 AVN Best Actor – Film for Bobby Sox
- 1999 AVN Best Supporting Actor – Video for Forever Night
- AVN Hall of Fame
- Legends of Erotica
- XRCO Hall of Fame
- Nicolas Barbano: Verdens 25 hotteste pornostjerner (Rosinante, Denmark 1999) ISBN 87-7357-961-0: Features a chapter on him.
- The Rialto Report: Jamie Gillis: New York Beginnings, audio interview with Jamie Gillis, November 17, 2013
- "Porn Star Jamie Gillis Remembered by Non-Porn-Star Friends". NY Magazine. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- IMDb profile
- Jamie Gillis: New York Beginnings, audio interview with Jamie Gillis, The Rialto Report, November 17, 2013"
- "The Underboss". Gay Erotic Video Index. Retrieved 2007-09-08
- Sloan, Will. "The Godfather of Gonzo Porn". Random House. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- XBIZ (2007-09-25). "The Godfathers of Gonzo". XBIZ.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Peter Warren (2010-02-19). "Jamie Gillis Passes Away". business.avn.com. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "rame awards list". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- MayorDefacto. "Transcript of the video A Night of Legends: First Annual XRCO Adult Film Awards". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Past AVN Award Winners". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "AVN Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Legends of Erotica". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- Jamie Gillis at the Internet Movie Database
- Jamie Gillis at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Jamie Gillis at the Adult Film Database
- Jamie Gillis: New York Beginnings, audio interview with Jamie Gillis, The Rialto Report, November 17, 2013
- Jamie Gillis at AllRovi
- Jamie Gillis at Find a Grave
- The Prince of Gonzo Porn - July 2007 interview
- Biography at LukeIsBack.com
- 1983 interview with Shauna Grant, on Youtube