|Full name||James David McClen|
|Date of birth||13 May 1979|
|Place of birth||Cramlington, England|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|2000–2001||→ Motherwell (loan)||3||(0)|
|2006–2007||→ Bedlington Terriers (loan)||7||(2)|
|2008||→ Newcastle Blue Star (loan)||?||(?)|
|2008–2009||Newcastle Blue Star||?||(?)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:27, 15 August 2010 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
He attended St. Benet Biscop Catholic High School in Bedlington, Northumberland. He honed his footballing skills at the youth academy of Newcastle United at the age of 10 after being spotted whilst playing for Cramlington Juniors.
McClen debuted for Newcastle in 1999 against Tottenham Hotspur under the management of Ruud Gullit. Gullit offered McClen a long term deal which was promptly signed. He drifted out of the first team picture for a few years only to get a break in the team when injuries took their toll on Newcastle. McClen took his chance including a goal against Peterborough United in the FA Cup, going on to make 10 more appearances in the 2001–02 season, including a display alongside Clarence Acuna against Arsenal in the FA Cup. McClen's performances that season, in which Newcastle finished 4th earned him another long term deal which was promptly signed. However McClen struggled to retain his place in the first team before eventually being released in 2005 to Carlisle United.
McClen's spell at Carlisle only lasted a few months before he was released. He then went to Blyth Spartans on a short term basis. He returned to the Football League to join Shrewsbury Town, but the manager expressed his concerns over McClen's fitness levels and he was once again released from his contract. In June 2006 he signed a 12-month contract with Kidderminster Harriers of the Football Conference. On 3 November 2006 McClen returned to the North East to play for Bedlington Terriers on loan.
On August 2007, McClen joined Northern Premier League outfit Gateshead ahead of the 2007–08 season. January 2008 saw McClen join Newcastle Blue Star on loan until the end of the season. The move became permanent at the start of the 2008–09 season.
After Newcastle Blue Star dissolved, McClen joined Morpeth Town, before a trial with Thai Premier League side Pattaya United F.C. in January 2010. McClen opted to stay in his native north east as he has a young family.
- "Magpies edge past Posh". BBC. 27 January 2002. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "McClen and Harriers part company". BBC Sport. 11 January 2007. Retrieved 11 January 2007.
- "Hamilton secure Harriers' McClen". BBC Sport. 31 January 2007. Retrieved 31 March 2007.
- "Jag's can't count on staying up". Daily Record. 3 April 2007. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "Bogie quietly confident of success". icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk. 12 August 2007. Retrieved 2 September 2007.
- "New signings for Newcastle Blue Star". Newcastle Evening Chronicle. 1 February 2008. Retrieved 1 February 2008.[dead link]
- thaileagueonline.com: report about the signing