McGinn with the Colorado Avalanche in February 2014
August 5, 1988 |
Fergus, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||36th Overall, 2006
San Jose Sharks
McGinn played four seasons of junior hockey for the Ottawa 67's of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). His best season was the 2006–07 season, in which he tallied 46 goals and 89 points. He led the team in scoring that season.
In the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, McGinn was drafted in the second round, 36th overall, by the San Jose Sharks. After his 2006–07 OHL season, McGinn was signed to an entry-level deal by the Sharks. He appeared in four regular season games and six playoff games for their American Hockey League affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
McGinn made his National Hockey League (NHL) debut on October 28, 2008, against the Pittsburgh Penguins. He scored his first NHL goal on October 30, 2008 against the Detroit Red Wings in only his second career NHL game.
On June 30, 2011, McGinn re-signed to a one-year, $680,000 contract with the Sharks. In the 2011–12 season, McGinn enjoyed a breakout season scoring 24 points as a left winger and a center, appearing in every contest with the Sharks before he was traded at the trade deadline on February 27, 2012, to the Colorado Avalanche, along with prospects Mike Connolly and Michael Sgarbossa in exchange for Daniel Winnik, T.J. Galiardi and a seventh round selection. As a restricted free agent, McGinn filed for arbitration in the summer of 2012, but on July 13 McGinn signed a two-year, $3.5 million contract with the Avalanche.
On June, 19, 2014, McGinn agreed to another two-year contract extension with the Avalanche. McGinn would miss the Avalanche's entire training camp and pre-season for the 2014–15 season, due to his recurrent back injury. He was able to return to the team to begin the season, however after 19 games McGinn was ruled out for the remainder of the season to undergo back surgery after re-injuring his troublesome back in game against the New Jersey Devils on Novemeber 15, 2014.
His younger brothers, Tye (born 1990) and Brock (born 1994) are also elite level hockey players. Tye was selected 119th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is currently playing professionally in the NHL with the San Jose Sharks; and Brock was selected 47th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and is currently playing with the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL.
McGinn suffers from a genetic back problem  that plagued him extensively during his pre-pro career. Cortisone, rehab, and major surgery in the summer of 2008 helped alleviate the pain, though the lingering effects still plague Mcginn, especially due to his high-pace playing style.
|2008–09||San Jose Sharks||NHL||35||4||2||6||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||San Jose Sharks||NHL||59||10||3||13||38||15||0||0||0||8|
|2010–11||San Jose Sharks||NHL||49||1||5||6||33||7||0||1||1||30|
|2011–12||San Jose Sharks||NHL||61||12||12||24||26||—||—||—||—||—|
- "McLellan tops former club as Sharks down Red Wings". TSN. October 31, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Avalanche acquire McGinn as well as prospects Connolly and Sgarbossa". Denver Post. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Avalanche signs Jamie McGinn to a two-year, $3.5 million deal". Denver Post. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "Avalanche Signs Jamie McGinn". avalanche.nhl.com. Colorado Avalanche. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Jamie McGinn undergoes back surgery, likely will miss rest of season". Denver Post. 2014-12-11. Retrieved 2015-03-02.
- "Tye McGinn player profile". Eliteprospects.com. 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Brock McGinn player profile". Eliteprospects.com. 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "McGinn Not Slowing in Calder Cup Pursuit". NHL.com. May 4, 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-31.