|Member of the Maryland Senate
from the 20th district
January 10, 2007
December 13, 1962 |
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Bloom Raskin|
Barbara Bellman Raskin
Jamie Raskin (born Jamin B. Raskin, on December 13, 1962, in Washington, D.C.) is an American law professor and politician. He teaches at American University, Washington College of Law, in Washington, D.C. He serves as the Director of the college's LL.M. program on Law and Government. In November 2006, he was elected as a Maryland State Senator for District 20, representing parts of Silver Spring and Takoma Park, cities in Montgomery County.
Raskin was born to a Jewish family in Washington D.C., the son of progressive activist Marcus Raskin and Barbara (née Bellman) Raskin. He graduated from Georgetown Day School in 1979, and from Harvard College (magna cum laude) in 1983, and from Harvard Law School in 1987. He is a past editor of the Harvard Law Review. As a lawyer, he has represented such clients as Greenpeace, the Service Employees International Union and a group of Montgomery Blair High School students fighting a ban on a television show they produced dealing with same-sex marriage. Raskin founded the Marshall Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project at the Washington College of Law. The program allows law students to teach a Constitutional law course in public high schools across the nation.
On March 1, 2006, during a Maryland State Senate hearing regarding same-sex marriage, Raskin, speaking as a constitutional law expert, told a lawmaker, "People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
He is married to Sarah Bloom Raskin, who served as the Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation from 2007-2010, and was nominated to the Federal Reserve Board on April 28, 2010. On October 4, 2010, she was sworn in as a governor of the Federal Reserve Board by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke.
- Friends of Jamin Raskin (2006). "Biography". Jamie Raskin for State Senate campaign web site. Retrieved May 4, 2006.
- "Official 2006 Gubernatorial General Election results for State Senator". Maryland State Board of Elections. 2006. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Jewish Daily Forward: "Should the Government 'Get' Involved? - State Laws Target Men Who Refuse to Grant Religious Divorce" By Rachel Levmore May 02, 2012
- Maryland Government State Senate website: "JAMIN B. (JAMIE) RASKIN" retrieved January 11, 2013
- "Sun News Digest". Baltimore Sun. March 2, 2006. p. 2.A. Abstract of archived news article, provided by the newspaper's archiving service.
- "Emotions flare over same-sex marriage". Baltimore Sun. March 2, 2006. Archived from the original on June 17, 2006. Retrieved April 17, 2006. Archived on raskin06.com, Mr Raskin's political campaign web site.
- Urban Legends Reference Pages (March 28, 2006). "Jamie Raskin". Snopes.com. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Reddy, Sudeep (April 29, 2010), "Obama Nominates Yellen, Raskin, Diamond to Fed Board", Wall Street Journal.
- Fed Press Release federalreserve.gov, October 4, 2010 (October 9, 2010)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jamie Raskin|
- Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Jamie Raskin)
- Jamie Raskin's Senate Website
- WCL Faculty Page