Waylett at Collectormania
|Born||Jamie Michael Waylett
21 July 1989
Kilburn, London, England
|Years active||2001– 2010|
Jamie Michael Waylett (born 21 July 1989) is an English actor known for his portrayal of Vincent Crabbe in six of the Harry Potter films. In 2012, Waylett was jailed for his role in the 2011 England riots.
Early life and career
While he was a student at Emmanuel Primary School, his photograph was taken as part of a general auditioning process for the Harry Potter films. Initially considered for the part of Dudley Dursley, after an audition at Leavesden Studios in front of director Chris Columbus he was cast as Vincent Crabbe. On 9 August 2009, fellow Harry Potter star Joshua Herdman announced that Waylett would not be returning for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, the final instalment in the film series. The role of Waylett's character in the plot was taken over by Herdman's character.
On 7 April 2009, Waylett and a friend were pulled over by police after Waylett took a photograph of the officers' car as they drove past. The officers then searched their vehicle, finding a knife and eight bags of cannabis. Other images on the camera led police to Waylett's mother's house, where additional cannabis plants were discovered being grown. Waylett was charged a month later for possession of the drug. He appeared in court on 16 July and pleaded guilty to growing the plants in his mother's home, but claimed that they were for his personal use and not for distribution. On 21 July, his 20th birthday, Waylett was sentenced to 120 hours of community service. Waylett had previously been accused of using cocaine in October 2006.
On 14 October 2011, Waylett was arrested for his alleged participation in the 2011 England riots. The Metropolitan Police charged him with "violent disorder, having an article with intent to destroy or damage property, and receiving stolen goods." Waylett was specifically accused of being in possession of a Molotov cocktail while looting a chemist in the Chalk Farm area of North London. He was also charged with cultivating cannabis after police found fifteen plants during a search of his home. On Tuesday 20 March 2012, Waylett was sentenced to two years in jail for taking part in the riots.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001) – Vincent Crabbe
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) – Vincent Crabbe / Ron Weasley (via Polyjuice Potion)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) – Vincent Crabbe
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) – Vincent Crabbe
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) – Vincent Crabbe
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009) – Vincent Crabbe
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- Harry Potter actor jailed for two years for London riots disorder Daily Mirror, 20 March 2012
- "BBC News – London riots: Harry Potter actor Jamie Waylett jailed .". Bbc.co.uk. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Jamie Waylett won't return for Deathly Hallows". SnitchSeeker.com. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Joshua Herdman & Louis Cordice to reprise Goyle and Zabini roles for Deathly Hallows – Snitchseeker.com Forums
- Harry Potter actor Jamie Waylett arrested over £2,000 bedroom cannabis 'farm'
- Drug rap Harry Potter star is charged
- Harry Potter actor Jamie Waylett guilty of growing cannabis
- Potter Actor to do Community Work
- Drug charge for Potter film actor
- Harry Potter Punk Cops to Conjuring Cannabis
- Harry Potter star Jamie Waylett arrested over 'cannabis farm'
- Harry Potter star Jamie Waylett's 'bedroom pot farm'
- Slytherin’s Crabbe charged in London riots, Chicago Sun-Times, 14 October 2011