Jamil Hassan (military officer)
|Service/branch||Syrian Armed Forces|
|Commands held||Air Force Intelligence Directorate (2009)|
|Battles/wars||Syrian civil war|
Hassan was appointed head of the Syrian Air Force Intelligence Directorate in 2009.
Hassan was sanctioned by the European Union on 9 May 2011. He was added to the European Union's sanction list on the grounds that he "involved in violence against the civilian population" during the Syrian civil war. On 29 June 2011, the United States also sanctioned him due to his involvement in human rights abuses in Syria.
Reports of assassination
According to Free Syrian Army reports he was assassinated on 26 August 2012 by an aide, who was an operative of the Ahfad al-Rasul Brigade. However, Al Dunya, a pro-regime TV channel, denied this report the same day.
- "First circle". France 24. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- Bashar al-Assad's inner circle BBC News, 20 July 2012
- Syria's Assad 'reshuffles security chiefs' UPI, 21 October 2010
- List of 13 Syrian officials blacklisted by the EU Youkal Retrieved 21 July 2012 (Arabic)
- "List of natural and legal persons". Official Journal of the EU. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Jamil Hassan". Foundation for Defense of Democracies. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- Report: Syrian air force intel head killed UPI 26 August 2012
- "Head of Syria’s air force intelligence killed by aide: rebel sources". Al Arabiya. 26 August 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Syrian TV Denies Intelligence Chief Murder". RIA Novosti (Beirut). 26 August 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
|This biographical article related to the military of Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|