|• Total||12.6 km2 (4.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||543 m (1,781 ft)|
|• Density||4,594.21/km2 (11,898.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As of 2001[update] India census, Jamakhandi had a population of 68,398. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Jamkhandi has an average literacy rate of 60%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 52%. In Jamakhandi, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.The population of Jamakhandi is quite diverse one in terms of religion,language and culture. Kannada is the main language.
The Royal Palace of Patwardhans is the main attraction of Jamkhandi town. Some other places worth visiting in the town are: There is a legend says that Maharshi Jamadagni husband of Shri Renuka Devi stayed in the caves of Jamakhandi and meditated here.Jamkhandi surrounded by rocky hills makes it beautiful site and looks like a hole from aerial survey.
There are 6 Govt.Divisional level Colleges/Offices(CTE's) in Karnataka. Govt.College of Teacher Education,Jamakhandi(CTE,Jamakhandi) is one of them.It is started in the year of 1964-65. Joint Director level officer as a Principal,3 DDPI's as a Readers and 13 BEO are working as a Lecturers in this college.(It Covers Five Districts Educational Administration and Conducting Inservice Training Programmes for High School Teachers, Head Masters and Educational Officers)and also Well known schools in Jamkhandi are: Govt.P. B. High School : Founder, Sir Parashuram Bhaurao Patwardhan started P. B. High School (named after him) in the year 1879. He also later founded S. P. College in Pune. Government Govt.Girls(G.G) High School and B.E.S.P.U.College,Kadapatti. B.L.D.E's Commerce, B.H.S Arts and T.G.P Science. Girish nagar primary Kannada medium school. Nutana primary Kannada medium Vidyalaya. Olimath primary Kannada medium School. Swami Vivekananda School. Tungal School.ashok tungal (be)is the founder of this collage tungal school is first rank for its district. almost district, it gave good education for primary as well as other competitive exams. almost The Royal palace School.SARVODAYA No donation higher Primary school which is run by Sarvodaya Mahila & Gramina Abhivruddi Samsthe(R)Jamakhandi.
A Sarvodaya deaf and Dumb School is also run by the same organisation.
City has got a big polo ground,where taluka, district and state level sports activities are held. Every year flag hoisting is done in polo ground where students from different schools will gather and perform different kawayats.
- Dr. R.D. Ranade was born in Jamkhandi in Karnataka. Belonging to the Inchegeri Sampradaya, to which also Nisargadatta Maharaj belongs, Ranade is more popularly known as Gurudev (Revered Preceptor) Ranade. He served as a professor of philosophy in the Fergusson college, Poona, as head of the department of philosophy in the Jallahabad university, and later as its vice-chancellor.
- Chattu Singh Rajaput, a great freedom fighter from the Jamkhandi. British officers killed him brutally and hanged him outside the city near Dalit Keri Jambagi Road.
- B. G. Kher First Chief Minister of Bombay State
- Vitthal Ramji Shinde was a prominent campaigner on behalf of the Dalit movement in India who established the Depressed Classes Mission of India to provide education to the Dalits.
- Siddu Nyamagouda is a prominent congress leader and also former central cabinet minister for state in P V Narasivarao, Siddu Nyamagouda started Jamkhandi Sugar Limited, which provides employment and industrial growth in Jamkhandi Taluk. He started Royal Palace School (CBSE Syallabus), He is also Former MLC from Bijapur - Bagalkot. He belonging to Ganiga Community. He is Current MLA MLA of Jamkhandi.
- R.M Kaluti is a prominent congress leader and also former MLA of Jamkhandi. R.M Kaluti was nominated to Karnataka state assembly thrice.
- B. D. Jatti former Vice president of India
- Indian Princely States
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Gurudev R.D. Ranade, Shri Gurudev R. D. Ranade
- Bridge-India, Shri Gurudev R.D. Ranade
Om Graphics, Kadapatti Cross, Jamkhandi Cell: 9740759572
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.