Jan Tříska, Brooklyn Academy of Music, November 4, 2005
November 4, 1936 |
|Spouse(s)||Karla Třísková 2 children|
Jan Triska or Jan Tříska (Czech pronunciation: [ˈjan ˈtr̝̊iːska]; 4 November 1936) is a Czech-American actor, most notable for portraying Captain Henry Wirz in the American television film Andersonville.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Theatre
- 3 External links
Early life and career
He was born in Prague. Before his emigration he performed in the theater and had many roles in movies. He has two daughters, Karla and Jana, with actress Karla Chadimová, as well as a grandson named Augustin.
Life and career in the United States
After signing the Charter 77 proclamation, he emigrated to the United States via Cyprus. In the U.S. his most notable role was probably that of Milos, the loyal butler and personal assistant to Mr. Terry Silver, in The Karate Kid, Part III. He also played the assassin in Miloš Forman's The People vs. Larry Flynt, and appeared in Highlander: The Series (season 5, episode 10), Highlander: The Raven, Blizzard, The Osterman Weekend, Ronin, Apt Pupil (as Isaac Weiskopf), and Peter Hyams' ambitious and successful sequel to Stanley Kubrick's 1968 science fiction epic 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010: The Year We Make Contact among many others.
Despite occasional visits to the Czech Republic, Tříska continues to live in the United States.
Return to Czech Republic
He visited Czech Republic after the Velvet Revolution of 1989 to perform in such movies as The Elementary School (1991), Horem pádem (2004), the Academy Award nominated Želary (2003) and Máj (adaptation of Karel Hynek Mácha). In 2002, Tříska received an Alfréd Radok Award for his performance as Lear in King Lear at the Summer Shakespeare Festival at Prague Castle.
American National Theater
New York's Public Theater
La Jolla Playhouse
Tylovo divadlo, Prague
- Srpnová neděle (1959) .... Jirka (Play by František Hrubín, directed by Otomar Krejča)
- Don Juan (1959) .... Young Boy (Molière, directed by Jaromír Pleskot)
- Konec masopustu (1964) .... Rafael (Play by Josef Topol, directed by Otomar Krejča)
- Měsíc na vsi (1965) .... Aleksej N. Beljajev (Play by I. S. Turgenev, directed by Rudolf Hrušínský)
Divadlo za branou
- Kočka na kolejích (1965) .... Véna (Play by Josef Topol, directed by Otomar Krejča)
- Three Sisters (1966) .... Tuzenbach (Play by Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, directed by Otomar Krejča)
- Oidipus (1971) .... Oidipus (Play by Sophokles, directed by Otomar Krejča)
Národní divadlo, Prague
- Bílá nemoc (1956-1957) .... first assistant (Play by Karel Čapek, directed by Jaromír Pleskot)
- Maryša (1956-1957) .... Second Man (directed by Zdeněk Štěpánek)
- Saint Jane .... Page (directed by Jaromír Pleskot)
- Romeo and Juliet (1963) .... Romeo (National Theatre, Prague, directed by Otomar Krejča)
Another Stage Works
- The Cherry Orchard: The Tempest (Gulthrie Theater)
- Largo Desolato [Yale Repertory Theatre, Connecticut Critics Circle Award, Outstanding Male Performance]
- The Third Army [Long Wharf Theatre]
- Arsenic and Old Lace [Long Wharf Theatre]
- King Lear (2002) .... King Lear (Summer Shakespeare Festival, Prague; Spišský hrad, Brno, directed by Martin Huba)
- King Lear (1961) .... Edmund (Smetanovo divadlo, directed by František Salzer)
- Faust (1973) .... Dr. Johann Faust (play by Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Divadlo Jaroslava Průchy, Kladno, directed by Václav Špidla)
- Kumšt (2012) .... Mark (play by Yasmina Reza)