Johannes (Jan) Josephus Marinus Velterop (born March 18, 1949) is a science publisher. Born in The Hague, Netherlands, he was originally a marine geologist and became a science publisher in the mid-1970s. He started his publishing career at Elsevier in Amsterdam. After a few years out of the scientific field as the director of the Dutch regional newspaper De Twentsche Courant, he returned to international science publishing at Academic Press in London. After Academic Press, he joined Nature as director for a short while, but moved quickly on to help get BioMed Central, the first commercial open access science publisher, off the ground.
In 2005 he joined Springer Science+Business Media in the UK as Director of Open Access. Springer is the first mainstream STM (Science, Technology, Medicine) publisher to offer open access as an option for virtually all its scientific and scholarly journals.
At the end of March, 2008, he left Springer  to join Knewco, a company that uses semantic technology to accelerate scientific discovery. Since January 2009 he is involved in the Concept Web Alliance as one of the initiators. He is currently CEO of the recent start-up Academic Concept Knowledge Limited (AQnowledge), residing in Guildford, UK. As such he is a partner in the Innovative Medicines Initiative project known as OpenPHACTS. He is an active advocate of the use of microattribution (the hallmark of so-called 'nanopublications').
Some selected writings on Open Access, and nanopublications
- The Example of a Hybrid Model: Springer Open Choice (In: Open Access, Opportunities and Challenges, a Handbook, p 39, German Commission for UNESCO, published by the European Union, 2008)
- Open Access: Science Publishing as Science Publishing Should Be (Serials Review, Volume 30, Number 4, 2004 pp. 308–309)
- Open Access is a Choice (Zeitschrift für Bibliothekswesen und Bibliographie 54, 2007, 4-5, S.268-272)
- Open access and publishing (UKSG, The E-Resources Management Handbook, 2006)
- The anatomy of a nanopublication (Information Services & Use 30, 2010, 51–56)
- "Jan Velterop to leave Springer". Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- The Parachute Jan Velterop's blog