|Born||21 September 1940
|Fields||History of philosophy, Analytic philosophy, Epistemology|
|Alma mater||Jagiellonian University|
Jan Woleński (also known as Jan Hertrich-Woleński; born September 21, 1940) is a Polish philosopher, specialist in the history of Lwów-Warsaw school and in analytical philosophy. He spent his entire scientific career at Jagiellonian University in Kraków, where is currently employed as a professor. Moreover, he holds a position on the consulting board of Theoria. Having been a laureate of Prize of the Foundation for Polish Science in 2013, Woleński is considered one of the most prominent Polish scholars in humanities.
Woleński studied philosophy and law at the same time. He belongs to the tradition of analytic philosophy, and considers himself close to the heritage of Lwow-Warsaw School. His main fields of research are philosophy of language, epistemology and history of Polish philosophy.
Jan Woleński is involved in the Jewish (secular) movement, i.e. commenting on Polish-Jewish common past and today's relationships. Being widely recognized in Poland as an atheist, he have been promoting an introduction of philosophy classes to Polish schools. 
Main works in English
- Woleński, Jan (1989). Logic and philosophy in the Lvov-Warsaw School. Dordrecht Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Woleński, Jan (1990). Kotarbinski: logic, semantics and ontology. Dordrecht Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Woleński, Jan (1994). Philosophical logic in Poland. Dordrecht Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Woleński, Jan; Köhler, Eckehart (1999). Alfred Tarski and the Vienna circle: Austro-Polish connections in logical Empiricism. Dordrecht Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Woleński, Jan (1999). Essays in the history of logic and logical Philosophy. Cracov: Jagiellonian University Press.
- Woleński, Jan; Niiniluoto, Ilkka; Sintonen, Matti (2004). Handbook of epistemology. Dordrecht Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 9781402019852.
Main works in Polish
- Woleński, Jan (1980). Z zagadnień analitycznej filozofii prawa, Quaestiones ad philosophiam analyticam iuris pertinentes, Warsaw, PWN.
- Woleński, Jan (1985). Filozoficzna szkoła lwowsko-warszawska, Warsaw, PWN.
- Woleński, Jan (1990). Kotarbiński, Wiedza Powszechna, Warszaw.
- Woleński, Jan (1993). Metamatematyka a epistemologia, Warszaw, PWN.
- Woleński, Jan (1996). W stronę logiki, Aureus, Cracow.
- Woleński, Jan (1997). Szkoła Lwowsko-Warszawska w polemikach, Warsaw, Scholar.
- Woleński, Jan (1999). Okolice filozofii prawa, Cracow, Universitas.
- Woleński, Jan (2000). Epistemologia, 3 volumes, Cracow, Aureus (reedited in one volume in 2005 by WN PWN, Warsaw).
- Woleński, Jan (2004). Granice niewiary, Cracow, Wydawnictwo Literackie.
- Humanism and Rationalism
- The Lvóv-Warsaw School entry by Jan Woleński in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Short film about Woleński made by Foundation for Polish Science
- Jagiellonian University's Holocaust Research Centre website
|This biography of a Polish philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|