Jan van Leeuwen
|Jan van Leeuwen|
|Alma mater||Utrecht University|
|Doctoral advisor||Dirk van Dalen|
|Doctoral students||Marinus Veldhorst
Johannes La Poutré
Van Leeuwen completed his undergraduate studies in mathematics at Utrecht University in 1967 and received a Ph.D. in mathematics in 1971 from the same institution under the supervision of Dirk van Dalen. After postdoctoral studies at the University of California, Berkeley and faculty positions at Stony Brook University and Pennsylvania State University, he returned to Utrecht as a faculty member in 1977. He was head of his department from 1977 to 1983, and again from 1991 to 1994, and dean from 1994 to 2009. Among his doctoral students is fellow Utrecht faculty member and notable game software developer, Mark Overmars.
Van Leeuwen is an ISI highly cited researcher. Since 1992 he has been a member of the Royal Dutch Society of Science, and in 2006 he was elected to the Academia Europaea. He was the editor of the Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science.
- 2009 Lorentz Fellowship, Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study, retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Jan van Leeuwen at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- ISI, retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Academia Europaea Informatics Section, retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Erik Jan van Leeuwen's home page, retrieved 2011-03-27.