She has worked on Scrubs since 2001, as a writer, and in 2002 served as a story editor, but was promoted and until 2004, served as an executive story editor. From there to 2005, she worked as a co-producer and in 2006 became a producer, and between 2006 and 2007 was supervising producer of twenty episodes. Aside from Scrubs, she has written the 2005 film Artistic License and two episodes of Malcolm in the Middle's third season.
She once commented that almost all of the ideas brought into and discussed in the Scrubs' writers' room were parallel to the writers' own lives, and that she specifically had suggested a number of storylines and subplots based on her own life. She is a fan of The Beatles and Indigo Girls, as well as the film The Big Chill and the television series The Wonder Years.
She is an alumnus of Northwestern University and has held a number of lectures at their School of Communication. She married actor Michael Cotter on April 24, 2004 and gave birth to their first son, Ansel Shepard Bakken Cotter, on January 4, 2008.
- Sarah Chalke (Eliot) and Janae Bakken (Writer) comment on "MY COLD SHOWER" ODEO.com. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- Ken P. (October 27, 2005) Scrubs Bios: Meet and greet. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- Alumni School of Communication at Northwestern. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- Television Writing Panel: Creative Writing for the Media School of Communication at Northwestern. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- Marriages, Summer 2005, Northwestern University. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- Ansel Shepard Bakken Cotter Variety (March 11, 2008). Retrieved on 2008-09-27.
|This article about a television writer from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a television producer from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|