|Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Public Health|
7 October 2013 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Anna Soubry|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Martin Linton|
|Succeeded by||To be elected|
15 August 1964 |
Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||St Hilda's College, Oxford|
Ellison was born in Bradford, attending St. Joseph's Catholic College, Bradford, then a girls' grammar school, and studied at St Hilda's College, Oxford. After university, she worked at the John Lewis Partnership, where she held many positions up until her election to the House of Commons some 23 years later.
A former Barnet London Borough Councillor, she contested the Barnsley East by-election, 1996 and the Tottenham by-election, 2000, in both cases finishing in third place, and contested Barnsley East and Mexborough in 1997 and Pendle in the general election of 2005. She was selected as Conservative parliamentary candidate for Battersea in September 2006 following an open primary held at the Battersea Arts Centre.
Ellison was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Public Health in October 2013.
She described providing political direction to the NHS as "a bit like being on a high wire without a net at times, it can be quite exciting" in a meeting with the Tory Reform Group in 2014. According to The Observer she also said I don't know how much any of you realise that with the Lansley act we pretty much gave away control of the NHS… we have some important strategic mechanisms but we don't really have day-to-day control." which was seized upon by critics as evidence that the government's NHS reforms had not succeeded.
In January 2015 she announced the government was proposing introducing a ban on advertising on cigarette packaging before the next election, to some surprise amongst colleagues in the Conservative Party
- "By-elections 1997-2000 Results and Candidates' Biographies (see Tottenham)". UK Election Results. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Jane Ellison MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Helm, Toby (21 June 2014). "NHS is out of control, says Tory health minister". Observer. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Second Tory Cabinet minister criticises plain packets for cigarettes". Daily Telegraph. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Jane Ellison MP official constituency website
- Jane Ellison MP Conservative Party profile
- Wandsworth Conservatives
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Battersea