Jane Louise Kelly
|Jane Louise Kelly|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit|
April 25, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael Melloy|
|Born||1964 (age 50–51)
Greencastle, Indiana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Duke University
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Jane Louise Kelly (born 1964) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Kelly was born 1964 and raised in Greencastle, Indiana. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, in 1987, from Duke University. She received her Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1991, from Harvard Law School. One of her classmates at Harvard was Barack Obama. After graduation, she clerked for Judge Donald J. Porter of the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota. She then clerked for Judge David R. Hansen of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. She worked briefly as a visiting instructor at the University of Illinois College of Law while working on her LLM there, which she did not complete. She became an assistant Federal Public Defender in the Northern District of Iowa in 1994 and served as the Supervising Attorney in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa office from 1999 to 2013.
Federal judicial service
On January 31, 2013, President Obama nominated Kelly to serve as a United States Circuit Judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael Joseph Melloy who took senior status on February 1, 2013. Her nomination was reported on a voice vote of the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 22, 2013. The Senate confirmed Kelly in a 96-0 vote on April 24, 2013. She received her commission on April 25, 2013.
- Nomination announcement from whitehouse.gov
- Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Senate Roll Call
- Toobin, Jeffrey (18 March 2014). "The Supreme Court Farm Team". New Yorker. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Millhiser, Ian (23 May 2013). "Ten Potential Democratic Supreme Court Nominees Who Aren’t Named ‘Sri Srinivasan’". Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Foley, Ryan (16 May 2013). "Jane Kelly's Experience Rare on US Appeals Court". AP. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Jane Louise Kelly at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit