Velez-Mitchell at the 2010 Gay Pride Parade
in West Hollywood, California
|Born||Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Education||New York University|
|Occupation||Television News Host for the HLN news network show "Issues"|
Jane Velez-Mitchell is an award winning television journalist and bestselling author. She currently has her own show on HLN, Jane Velez-Mitchell (formerly known as Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell) replacing Glenn Beck who moved to Fox News Channel. She is often seen commenting on high-profile cases for CNN, TruTV, E! and other national cable TV shows. Velez-Mitchell frequently guest hosts for Nancy Grace on her Headline News show. Velez-Mitchell reported for the nationally syndicated show Celebrity Justice (produced by corporate sibling Telepictures). She also appears as a substitute host on HLN's Showbiz Tonight.
Early life and career
Born to a Puerto Rican mother and an Irish American father, Velez-Mitchell has been on the forefront of many headline news stories during the past decade. While covering a story regarding sororities on her television show Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell (retitled February 2012 as simply Jane Velez-Mitchell), she stated that she attended New York University. She was in the courtroom during the entire child sexual abuse trial against singer Michael Jackson. During the trial, Velez-Mitchell appeared daily on Nancy Grace. She was featured on CNN’s Larry King Live on several occasions, including on the evening of the verdict.
Velez-Mitchell authored the non-fiction book, Secrets Can Be Murder: What America’s Most Sensational Crimes Tell Us About Ourselves, which delves into the secrets unearthed in more than twenty of the most widely covered murder cases of recent times. The book's premise is that, by studying the secrecy and deceit embedded in these tragic scenarios, we can learn to opt for honesty in our own lives and avoid similar outcomes.
In September 2009, Velez-Mitchell released her memoir on addiction recovery titled iWant: My Journey from Addiction and Overconsumption to a Simpler, Honest Life.
In February 2011, Velez-Mitchell released a third book, titled Addict Nation: an Intervention for America. This book examines what Velez-Mitchell believes to be growing levels of addiction in the United States to both illegal drugs and to legal phenomena like the Internet, prescription drugs, and fast food.
In August 2013, Velez-Mitchell released her fourth book, Exposed: The Secret Life of Jodi Arias, which debuted as a #5 New York Times Bestseller. The book closely examines the life of notorious killer, Jodi Arias, leading up to the horrific death of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, and the ensuing murder trial that shocked the nation at every turn.
Velez-Mitchell is openly a lesbian. She came out on Al Rantel's radio show on KABC-AM in Los Angeles in 2007, and is one of the few openly gay journalists on television. She also has dedicated her time and resources to various charitable and humane causes. She is well known for her animal rights advocacy and is a vegan and an environmentalist. In July 2009, Farm Animal Rights Movement awarded Velez-Mitchell the Celebrity Animal Activist Award at the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference held in Los Angeles, California. While working at Celebrity Justice, Velez-Mitchell’s reporting on animal cruelty earned that show two Genesis Awards from the Humane Society of the United States. She earned an additional Genesis Award for her show "Issues" in 2010. In January 2010, she was awarded the Ruby Award by Soroptimist International for her "War on Women" coverage on her television show.
- "Jane Velez Mitchell to Anchor HLN's 7pmET Hour". Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Anchored Woman from The Advocate October 2009
- "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell on CNN". Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- HLN’s Jane Velez-Mitchell Calls Herself a Consuming Addict and Says Most Americans Are Addicted Too from HCIBooks.com 24 August 2009
- "Addiction Nation". HCI Books. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Velez-Mitchell, Jane. How I Came Out on Live Radio. Huffington Post, 2011-12-15.
- The Insider is Out by Sean Kennedy, from The Advocate June 17, 2008. Accessed June 29, 2009
- "Animal Rights National Conference". Farm Animal Rights Movement. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Jane Velez-Mitchell of HLN to be honored by Soroptimist from www.free-press-release.com 13 November 2009
- A Fill-In on Cable News Is Thrust Into Host’s Chair from the New York Times 2 March 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jane Velez-Mitchell.|
- Jane Velez-Mitchell on the Internet Movie Database
- TV Interview on The Gregory Mantell Show on YouTube
- Jane Velez-Mitchell on Dr. Phil in October 2009 talks about being a midlife lesbian