Janet R. Maslin (born August 12, 1949) is an American journalist, best known as a film and literary critic for The New York Times. She served as the Times' film critic from 1977–1999.
Maslin graduated from the University of Rochester in 1970, with a B.A. degree and a major in mathematics. She began her career as a rock music critic for The Boston Phoenix and Rolling Stone.
Maslin was the long-time film critic for The New York Times, serving from 1977–1999. Her film criticism career, including her embrace of American independent cinema, is discussed in the 2009 documentary film For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism. In the film Entertainment Weekly critic Lisa Schwarzbaum recalls the excitement of having a woman as the lead reviewer at The New York Times.
Maslin reviews books for The New York Times. Among the most well-known of her reviews is the 2011 essay on the widowed Joyce Carol Oates' memoir, A Widow's Story, which was widely discussed. 
Personal life 
She was oncerecord producer Jon Landau. She is now married to writer Benjamin Cheever, and lives with their two sons in Pleasantville, New York, where she serves as president of the board of the Jacob Burns Film Center.
- ^ Sean Elder, "Maslin Bails, Critics Rail", Salon, September 23, 1999, accessed December 21, 2007.
- ^ Interview with Janet Maslin
- ^ "Book Reviews by Janet Maslin", New York Times website
- ^ "Unethical, Immoral. Crude and Cruel and Unconscionable" Crossing the Border February 14, 2011. http://crossingtheborder.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/unethical-immoral-crude-and-cruel-and-unconscionable/
- Articles written by Janet Maslin
- "Janet Maslin: Recent and archived news articles by Janet Maslin of The New York Times." Times Topics, The New York Times. Accessed December 21, 2007. (Includes index of "Maslin's articles published in the New York Times since April 1996, with navigational links to full texts of the first 1000; not all may be accessible or accessible free.)
- "Reviews: Janet Maslin". Movies, The New York Times. Accessed December 21, 2007. ("Listed below are reviews written by Janet Maslin for The New York Times. Click on a title to read a review, access details about the movie or post your own online review.")
- "Holy Iceberg! Dynamic Duo Vs. Mr. Freeze". Movies, The New York Times. Accessed June 14, 2011. ("Maslin's positive review of the disastrous 1997 superhero movie Batman & Robin.")
External links