|First Lady of Uganda|
29 January 1986
|Born||Janet Kainembabazi Kataaha
24 June 1948
|Religion||Born Again Christian|
Janet Kataaha Museveni (née Kainembabazi, born June 24, 1948) is the First Lady of Uganda since May 1986. She is married to President Yoweri Museveni, with whom she has four children. She has been Minister for Karamoja Affairs in Uganda's Cabinet since 27 May 2011. She is also the elected Member of Parliament representing Ruhaama County in Ntungamo District.
Janet Kainembabazi Kataaha Museveni was born in Bwongyera village in Kajara county, Ntungamo District, Western Uganda to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kataaha. She attended Kyamate Primary School, and Bweranyangi Girls' Senior Secondary School.
Janet Museveni went into exile in 1971, when Idi Amin toppled the Milton Obote I regime in a military coup. She married Yoweri Museveni in August 1973. When Idi Amin's regime fell from power in April 1979, she moved back to Uganda from Tanzania where she had been living in exile with her husband.
In February 1981 when Yoweri Museveni launched his guerrilla war against the government of President Milton Obote, Janet Museveni and her children re-located to Nairobi, Kenya, where they lived with family friends until 1983. In 1983, they moved to Gothenburg, Sweden, and stayed there until May 1986, four months after Yoweri Museveni's National Resistance Army had seized power in Kampala.
The four children of Janet Museveni are:
- Muhoozi Kainerugaba - Born in 1974, Brigadier in the UPDF & Commander of Special Forces.
- Natasha Karugire - Born in 1976, Fashion Designer & Consultant. Married to Edwin Karugire. Private Secretary to the President of Uganda for Household Affairs.
- Patience Rwabwogo - Born in 1978, Pastor of Covenant Nations Church, Buziga, Kampala. - Married to Odrek Rwabwogo.
- Diana Kamuntu - Born in 1980, Married to Geoffrey Kamuntu.
- Janet Museveni founded the Uganda Women's Effort to Save Orphans (UWESO), a private relief agency in late 1986, which she said was shaped by her experience as a refugee. She became involved with the HIV/AIDS campaigns in Uganda in the 1990s, forging ties with radical pastor Martin Ssempa for abstinence-only sex education in Uganda.
- In November 2005, she announced that she would seek the parliamentary seat of Ruhaama county, in the February 2006 Ugandan general elections. She contested the seat against the candidate for Forum for Democratic Change, Augustine Ruzindana, and won overwhelmingly. She was re-elected in March 2011 to another five-year term.
- On 16 February 2009, Janet Museveni was appointed State Minister for Karamoja Affairs, by her husband, President Yoweri Museveni.
- On 27 May 2011, she was elevated to Minister for Karamoja Affairs, complete with a State Minister for Karamoja Affairs.
- Bengali, Shashank (26 March 2006). "Uganda Is Leading Africa's Boom In Christianity". Desertnews.com. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Museveni Names New Cabinet
- Janet Museveni Is MP For Ruhaama County, Ntungamo District
- Butagira, Tabu (22 May 2010). "Janet Museveni Opens Up On Love, Family And Politics". AllAfrica.com (The Monitor). Retrieved 20 October 2010.
President Museveni writes in his autobiography: ... Janet and I were married in August 1973 while working for the East African Community and their first child, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, was born on April 24, 1974...
- Lt. Col. Muhoozi is Commander Special Forces The information given here is not the bible truth, Jannet can only be taken as mother in some sense but she is not the biological mum to the boy
- Natasha is a Fashion Guru
- Website of Covenant Nations Church
- Patience Rwabwogo is a Pastor
- Geoffrey Kamuntu and His Wife
- The Economist magazine. July 3rd, 2010 edition. page 45.
- Janet Museveni Appointed Minister of State
- Full List of Cabinet Ministers of Uganda, May 2011
- Profile of Janet Museveni In 2012
- Janet Museveni Speech, IISD Conference, Kampala, April 2004.
- Extended Museveni Family
Now Janet Museveni is the Hon.Member of Parliament for Ruhama County Kiruhura District and the Minister in-charge of Karomoja Gold affairs. She is not rust worth and she embezzled funds for Karamoja