Devlin in 2012
|Birth name||Janet Maureen Aoife Ne Devlin|
12 November 1994 |
Gortin, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
|Labels||Thumb Print Music/Insomnia Music Records (2013–present)|
|Associated acts||The X Factor finalists 2011, Eliot Kennedy, Newton Faulkner, Joshua Radin, Ethan Ash, Jack Savoretti|
Janet Maureen Aoife Ne Devlin (born 12 November 1994) is an Irish singer-songwriter, from Gortin in County Tyrone, who rose to prominence in the eighth series of The X Factor in 2011 where she finished in fifth place.
Her debut album was launched in October 2012 via Pledge Music with a limited "pledgers only" release on July 1, 2013. It will receive a general release with new songs and reworked tracks on June 9, 2014. Devlin is heavily influenced by alternative artists such as City and Colour, John Frusciante, Verdana and Devendra Banhart. She also notes the Red Hot Chili Peppers as a favourite band.
Janet is the youngest of four children to Aquinas and Pat Devlin. She is their only daughter and has three elder brothers: Jason, Gavin and Aaron. Prior to entering The X Factor, she lived with her parents and brothers in Gortin, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. She attended Drumragh Integrated College where she completed her GCSE's. A talented student, Janet scored the highest possible grade at A* in Philosophy and Religion, 3 A grades, 4 B grades and 2 C grades in Mathematics and Chemistry. 
Devlin had very little performing experience before auditioning for The X Factor, only singing in her school, pubs and local talent shows. She had previously uploaded a number of videos of her singing to her official channel on YouTube on a regular basis, reaching millions of views worldwide.
2011: The X Factor
In 2011, Devlin auditioned for the eighth series of The X Factor. Her audition was screened on 20 August 2011, where she performed Elton John's "Your Song". Her audition was successful as all four judges: Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos, Kelly Rowland and Gary Barlow put her through to the next round. She performed Coldplay's "Fix You" in week 1 of the live shows and was put through to the next round by mentor Kelly Rowland, as there was no public vote in the first week. Devlin topped the public vote more than any other act as she received most public votes for the first four weeks of voting (weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5) and reached week 8 before landing in the bottom 2 with Misha B. Despite polling more public votes than Misha B, she was voted off by judges Contostavlos and Walsh with Rowland refusing to vote. Devlin's final song in the sing off was Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars". During the live shows, Courtney Love tweeted Simon Cowell to offer to give Devlin one of Nirvana's tracks for the show. This, however, did not transpire.
- – Received the most public votes
- – Denotes having been in the bottom 2
|Audition||"Your Song"||Free choice||Through to Bootcamp|
|Bootcamp 1||"Breakeven"||Bootcamp challenge||Through to Bootcamp 2|
|Bootcamp 2||"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"||Free choice||Through to Judges' houses|
|Judges' houses||"Beautiful"||Free choice||Through to live shows|
|Live show 1||"Fix You"||Britain vs America||Saved|
|Live show 2||"Can't Help Falling in Love"||Love and Heartbreak||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 3||"Sweet Child o' Mine"||Rock||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 4||"Every Breath You Take"||Halloween||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 5||"I Want You Back"||Club classics||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 6||"Somebody to Love"||Lady Gaga vs. Queen||Safe (2nd)|
|Live show 7||"Kiss Me"||Movies||Safe (3rd)|
|Live show 8||"MMMBop"||Guilty pleasures||Bottom two (4th)|
|"Under the Bridge"||Heroes|
|Final showdown 8||"Chasing Cars"||Final Showdown||Eliminated|
Soon after being eliminated from The X Factor, Devlin performed some gigs at various venues throughout the UK. One of these being the renowned G-A-Y venue on Saturday, 3 December 2011.[not in citation given] By finishing fifth, she was one of nine acts to perform on the X Factor Live Tour 2012, which took place in cities throughout the UK and Ireland. She performed fan favourite songs, 'Fix You' and 'Sweet Child o' Mine'.
2012–present: Debut studio album
It was reported that Devlin had received at least three offers of a recording contract, but as of yet there has been no confirmation of a deal signed. Within hours of leaving the show Devlin had been offered a recording contract by RKA Records, a record company partly owned by Dragons' Den star and entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne.
Following the X Factor Live Tour, Janet began work on her debut album at Steelworks Recording Studios, Sheffield. She was first in the recording studio on 28 May 2012, where she wrote and recorded three songs ('Crown of Thorns', 'Thinking Back Yesterday' and 'Who Am I Today?') with Grammy Award and Ivor Novella Award-winning producer Eliot Kennedy and his team. The song "Crown of Thorns", which was one of the first she wrote, with Jim Jayawardena and Philippa Hanna (of Kennedy's Steelworks team), quickly became an addition to her live sets at gigs.
Janet has written all of her songs, usually with one co-writer, for inclusion on her debut album. She has written with accomplished songwriters Joe Janiak, Helen Boulding and Ethan Ash. She has also written potential tracks for her debut release with internationally acclaimed songwriters including the Faulkner brothers, Toby and Newton Faulkner, Joshua Radin and Jack Savoretti
Janet has stated in interviews that she has written around 25 songs so far and will continue to write more songs to have the best possible finished album. On 26 October 2012, she debuted two brand new, live edition, songs on her YouTube channel. They were 'Wonderful' which was co-written with Newton Faulkner and the aforementioned 'Crown of Thorns', which are taken from her upcoming debut album.
This debut album was launched on Pledge Music where it is avaialable to pre-order along with several other exclusives. In December 2012 it was stated that the album would be released in early 2013, having reached 45% of the pledge target within the first two weeks. Having reached 100% on New Year's Eve 2012, Janet began the recording of her album. It was later revealed that the album would be released to pledgers on 1 July 2013, with a general release to come later in early 2014.
For the general release of Hide & Seek, Janet will work with critically acclaimed, 3 time Brit, 18 time Grammy and 2 time Ivor Novella award winning Producer and Songwriter, James Sanger at his 'Vibey Studio' in France. Sanger has previously worked with, amongst many others, the likes of Keane, Dido and U2.
During her UK and Ireland tour, Janet Devlin announced that her song "Wonderful" will be the debut single from her album Hide and Seek and was released on 25 November 2013. The video for "Wonderful" which was shot on location in the Lake District by Gary Dumbill was uploaded to her YouTube channel on 1st November. The song received its first national airplay on Graham Norton's BBC Radio 2 show on the 26th October 2013. This was followed by it being played on Paul O'Grady's BBC Radio 2 show on the 27th. Janet performed 'Wonderful' live on ITV's This Morning with her band on the 22nd November.
A live version of her song "Things We Lost in the Fire" was premiered on her YouTube channel on 6 December 2013.
In early January 2014, Janet debuted a new live version of her song "Delicate", (written with Jack Savoretti and a new addition to the general release album) performing with Tom Dibb (guitar and vocals), in a BalconyTV session.
UK and Ireland Headline Tour
She announced the dates for her 2013 UK Tour in partnership with Academy Events, on 29 October with the tickets being on general sale on 2 November. The 10 date UK leg of the tour will visit O2 Academy venues in cities including London, Birmingham, Glasgow and Sheffield. Additional dates at Cardiff and Bristol were announced after the initial dates.
She announced the dates for the Irish leg of the tour in partnership with SD Entertainment on 5 November with tickets available from the 7th. The Irish leg will consist of 4 dates with Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Galway all being visited.
It was announced on 17 July that Wayward Daughter would be one of the support acts on the tour and will be appearing at all of the dates. Ethan Ash will appear as a special guest on 6 dates of the tour. On 29 July 2013, Devlin said that her first Headline Tour is to be named 'The Imaginarium Tour'.
Janet performed at Croke Park, in front of a capacity 82,300 crowd, as part of the half-time show for the All Ireland Gaelic Football final on 23 September. She performed a cover of 'Fix You' and one of her self-penned original songs 'Walk Away'.
She performed at the X Factor NSPCC Childline Ball on 18 October, again singing her original song 'Walk Away' and 'Fix You' by Coldplay, helping to raise over half a million pounds for the charity.
Janet performed for his Holiness, the Dalai Lama on 18 April 2013 as part of Irish charity, Children in Crossfire's 'Culture of Compassion' event in Derry.
On 12 May 2013 Janet performed a Pledger only concert at Greystones, Sheffield with a backing band consisting of Roo Walker (guitar, vocals), Jim Jayawardena (keyboard), Doug Harper (drums), Laura Kidd (bass, vocals) and Michael Giverin (mandolin). The second Pledger only concert took place at London's Troubadour on 13 May 2013.
On 25 June 2013, Janet worked with Newton Faulkner again. This time she was providing vocals for his new album project, #studiozoo. She provided backing vocals for 2 tracks as well as lending her voice for more of a featured backing vocal on a track called 'Plastic Hearts'.
On 26 June 2013, Janet officially finished recording her Debut Album. The album, 'Hide and Seek' was released to pledgers on 1 July 2013. Janet released an exclusive bonus acoustic EP, 'Nothing Lost', to pledgers on 14 August 2013.
|Album Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Hide & Seek||–||–|
|Nothing Lost – Track listing|
|1.||"Delicate"||Janet Devlin, Jack Savoretti||Eliot Kennedy, Jim Jayawardena||3:44|
|2.||"All We Need"||Devlin, Joe Janiak||Kennedy, Jayawardena||3:32|
|3.||"Nothing Lost Something Found"||Devlin, Savoretti||Kennedy, Jayawardena||3:59|
|4.||"Your Song"||Elton John, Bernie Taupin||Kennedy, Jayawardena||2:48|
|Year||Single||Peak chart position||Album|
|UK||UK Indie||UK Indie Breakers||IRL||SCO|
|2013||"Wonderful"||-||25||3||-||-||Hide & Seek/TBA|
|2014||"House of Cards"||-||-||-||-||-|
As featured artist
|Year||Single||Peak chart position|
|2011||"Wishing on a Star"
(as part of The X Factor finalists 2011 featuring JLS and One Direction)
|"Wishing on a Star"
(The X Factor Finalists 2011
featuring JLS and One Direction)
- "Birthday girl Janet Devlin back on form after a tough week – News, Film & TV". Belfasttelegraph.co.uk. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Janet Devlin announces new record deal – Music News – Digital Spy
- Janet Devlin | Steelworks Studios
- BBC News – X Factor's Janet Devlin gets top marks from headmaster
- 'X Factors Janet Devlin 'unaware' of supposed family connection to Nirvana's Kurt Cobain | News | NME.COM
- "Janet Devlin's YouTube Channel". Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "The X Factor – Janet Devlin". Xfactor.itv.com. Retrieved 20 June 2012.[dead link]
- TheXFactorUK (21 August 2011). "Janet Devlin's audition – The X Factor 2011". YouTube. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin won The X Factor vote for the first four weeks, with Little Mix failing to win until week 7 – see full voting results since week one". Daily Mirror. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "X Factor: Janet Devlin Topped Public Vote The Most". MTV.co.uk. 12 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- 25 November 2011, 16:48 GMT (25 November 2011). "Courtney Love offers Nirvana track to 'X Factor's Janet Devlin". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- TheXFactorUK. "Janet Devlin's audition – The X Factor 2011 (Full Version)". YouTube. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin @ G-A-Y (Heaven) London – Forget You". YouTube. 4 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- 17 November 2011, 04:39 GMT (17 November 2011). "'X Factor' tour lineup confirmed, Frankie Cocozza not included". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Review: The X Factor Tour Live, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle – Chronicle Live
- Coleman, Josh. "'X Factor's' Janet Devlin on the verge of signing record deal? - imediamonkey®". Imediamonkey.com. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin gets approached for a record deal". Sugarscape. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- My imaginarium | Crown of thorns[dead link]
- My imaginarium | Thinking back yesterday[dead link]
- My imaginarium | Who Am I Today?[dead link]
- Midas Maynard, Dean. "Janet Devlin teams up with Eliot Kennedy". Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- Listen to X Factor 2011 contestant Janet Devlin’s self-penned song! | The X Factor 2013 | Telly Mix
- Twitter / JanetJealousy: Two more great tracks written
- How I Survived Juggling Music and Motherhood | Helen Boulding
- Blog – Ethan Ash
- [dead link]
- Janet Devlin interview: 'I felt lost after The X Factor' – Digital Spy
- Janet Devlin gives fans chance to perform on album via PledgeMusic | Music Week
- [dead link]
- Janet Devlin Live (wonderful/crown of thorns) – YouTube
- X Factor's Janet Devlin rejects Cowell's cash and crowdfunds her debut album | Music News | Holy Moly!
- Dean, Jonathan (2012) "The Great Escapee", Sunday Times Culture magazine, 16 December 2012, pp. 24–25
- Janet Devlin | Flickr – Condivisione di foto!
- Maroon 5 | News
- Academy Music Group – The UK's leading owner and operator of live music and club venues
- Dates | Janet Devlin.com
- "Civic Reception for X Factor star Janet – UTV Entertainment". U.tv. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- X Factor 2012 ChildLine ball raises over £500,000 for charity! | The X Factor 2013 | Telly Mix
- BBC Sport – Stage set for 'Match for Michaela' at Casement Park
- "Janet relishes Dalai Lama gig", Strabane Chronicle, 8 April 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Pledgers Gigs | Janet Devlin.com
- Janet Devlin: Debut Album | PledgeMusic
- New pledgers-only EP – download it now! | PledgeMusic
- "Janet Devlin debuts 'Wonderful' music video". Digital Spy. Retrieved 1 November 2013.