Devlin in 2012
|Birth name||Janet Maureen Aoife Ne Devlin|
12 November 1994 |
Gortin, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
|Associated acts||Eliot Kennedy, Newton Faulkner, Joshua Radin, Ethan Ash, Jack Savoretti|
- 1 Biography
- 2 2011: The X Factor
- 3 Tracklist
- 4 Artistry
- 5 Discography
- 6 Tours
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Janet is the youngest of four children to Aquinas and Pat Devlin. She is their only daughter and has three elder brothers: Jason, Gavin and Aaron. Prior to entering The X Factor, she lived with her parents and brothers in Gortin, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. She attended Drumragh Integrated College where she completed her GCSE's. A talented student, Janet scored the highest possible grade at A* in Philosophy and Religion, 3 A grades, 4 B grades and 2 C grades in Mathematics and Chemistry.
Courtney Love has stated in interviews that she believes Janet and her family to be distant relatives of Kurt Cobain, though Devlin has stated that she is unaware of any connection. Devlin had very little performing experience before auditioning for The X Factor, only singing in her school, pubs and local talent shows. She had previously uploaded a number of videos of her singing to her official channel on YouTube on a regular basis, reaching millions of views worldwide.
2011: The X Factor
In 2011, Devlin auditioned for the eighth series of The X Factor. Her audition was screened on 20 August 2011, where she performed Elton John's "Your Song". Her audition was successful as all four judges: Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos, Kelly Rowland and Gary Barlow put her through to the next round. She performed Coldplay's "Fix You" in week 1 of the live shows and was put through to the next round by mentor Kelly Rowland, as there was no public vote in the first week. Devlin topped the public vote more than any other act as she received most public votes for the first four weeks of voting (weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5) and reached week 8 before landing in the bottom 2 with Misha B. Despite polling more public votes than Misha B, she was voted off by judges Contostavlos and Walsh with Rowland refusing to vote. Devlin's final song in the sing off was Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars". During the live shows, Courtney Love tweeted Simon Cowell to offer to give Devlin one of Nirvana's tracks for the show. This, however, did not transpire.
The X Factor Performances
- – Received the most public votes
- – Denotes having been in the bottom 2
|Audition||"Your Song"||Free choice||Through to Bootcamp|
|Bootcamp 1||"Breakeven"||Bootcamp challenge||Through to Bootcamp 2|
|Bootcamp 2||"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"||Free choice||Through to Judges' houses|
|Judges' houses||"Beautiful"||Free choice||Through to live shows|
|Live show 1||"Fix You"||Britain vs America||Saved|
|Live show 2||"Can't Help Falling in Love"||Love and Heartbreak||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 3||"Sweet Child o' Mine"||Rock||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 4||"Every Breath You Take"||Halloween||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 5||"I Want You Back"||Club classics||Safe (1st)|
|Live show 6||"Somebody to Love"||Lady Gaga vs. Queen||Safe (2nd)|
|Live show 7||"Kiss Me"||Movies||Safe (3rd)|
|Live show 8||"MMMBop"||Guilty pleasures||Bottom two (4th)|
|"Under the Bridge"||Heroes|
|Final showdown 8||"Chasing Cars"||Final Showdown||Eliminated|
Soon after being eliminated from The X Factor, Devlin performed some gigs at various venues throughout the UK. One of these being the renowned G-A-Y venue on Saturday, 3 December 2011.[not in citation given] By finishing fifth, she was one of nine acts to perform on the X Factor Live Tour 2012, which took place in cities throughout the UK and Ireland. She performed fan favourite songs, 'Fix You' and 'Sweet Child o' Mine'.
2012–13: Hide & Seek
It was reported that Devlin had received at least three offers of a recording contract, but as of yet there has been no confirmation of a deal signed. Within hours of leaving the show Devlin had been offered a recording contract by RKA Records, a record company partly owned by Dragons' Den star and entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne.
Following the X Factor Live Tour, Janet began work on her debut album at Steelworks Recording Studios, Sheffield. She was first in the recording studio on 28 May 2012, where she wrote and recorded three songs ('Crown of Thorns', 'Thinking Back Yesterday' and 'Who Am I Today?') with Grammy Award and Ivor Novella Award-winning producer Eliot Kennedy and his team. The song "Crown of Thorns", which was one of the first she wrote, with Jim Jayawardena and Philippa Hanna (of Kennedy's Steelworks team), quickly became an addition to her live sets at gigs.
Janet has written all of her songs, usually with one co-writer, for inclusion on her debut album. She has written with accomplished songwriters Joe Janiak, Helen Boulding and Ethan Ash. She has also written potential tracks for her debut release with internationally acclaimed songwriters including the Faulkner brothers, Toby and Newton Faulkner, Joshua Radin and Jack Savoretti Janet has stated in interviews that she has written around 25 songs so far and will continue to write more songs to have the best possible finished album. On 26 October 2012, she debuted two brand new, live edition, songs on her YouTube channel. They were 'Wonderful' which was co-written with Newton Faulkner and the aforementioned 'Crown of Thorns', which are taken from her upcoming debut album.
This debut album was launched on Pledge Music where it is available to pre-order along with several other exclusives including a chance to record backing vocals with her. In December 2012 it was stated that the album would be released in 2013, having reached 45% of the pledge target within the first two weeks. Having reached 100% on New Year's Eve 2012, Janet began the recording of her album in early 2013. On 26 June 2013, Janet finished recording the limited release version of her debut album. 'Hide & Seek' was released to pledgers on 1 July 2013. Janet released an exclusive bonus acoustic EP, 'Nothing Lost', to pledgers on 14 August 2013.
On 25 June 2013, Janet worked with Newton Faulkner again. This time she was providing vocals for his new album project, #studiozoo. She provided backing vocals for 2 tracks as well as lending her voice for more of a featured backing vocal on a track called 'Plastic Hearts'.
A live version of her song "Things We Lost in the Fire" was premiered on her YouTube channel on 6 December 2013.
2014–present: Running with Scissors
In early January 2014, Janet debuted a new live version of her song "Delicate", (written with Jack Savoretti and a new addition to the general release album) performing with Tom Dibb (guitar and vocals), in a BalconyTV session. She won the Balcony TV Global Music Rumble two weeks in a row on the 2 and 9 March and again on the 23 March.
Devlin announced in March 2014 that the general release of her debut album, with the new title 'Running with Scissors' will be on 9 June. The album will feature new single 'House of Cards' (to be released on the 26 May) with 3 other new original songs (Whisky Lullabies' co written with UK song writer Tim Jennings, 'Lifeboat' and 'When You Were Mine'), a cover of The Cure's 'Friday I'm in Love' and reworked versions of 'Delicate' (from the EP Nothing Lost), 'Wonderful', 'Creatures of the Night', 'Things We Lost in the Fire' and 'Hide & Seek' from the limited release album Hide & Seek. The reworked version of the song 'Hide & Seek' will feature Newton Faulkner whom, along with his brother, co-wrote it with Janet.
|1.||"Creatures of the Night"||Janet Devlin, Newton Faulkner, Billy Battenberg||3:10|
|2.||"House of Cards"||Devlin, Lee McCutcheon, Simon Johnson||3:17|
|3.||"Hide & Seek"||Devlin, Faulkner, Battenberg||3:22|
|4.||"Lifeboat"||Devlin, McCutcheon, Thomas, Graeme Pleeth||4:12|
|5.||"Things We Lost in the Fire"||Devlin, Eliot Kennedy, Jim Jayawardena, Philippa Hanna||3:28|
|6.||"Wonderful"||Devlin, Faulkner, Battenberg||2:42|
|7.||"Delicate"||Devlin, Jack Savoretti||3:24|
|8.||"Friday I'm in Love"||Boris Williams, Perry Bamonte, Porl Thompson, Robert Smith||3:07|
|9.||"When You Were Mine"||Devlin, Pleeth, Per Eklund, Johan Liljedahl||3:35|
|10.||"Whiskey Lullabies"||Devlin, Tim Jennings||4:21|
On 11 May 2012, Devlin received an Honorary Award at a civil reception in Omagh, County Tyrone for her achievements on the X Factor series 8. Janet performed at Croke Park, in front of a capacity 82,300 crowd, as part of the half-time show for the All Ireland Gaelic Football final on 23 September. She performed a cover of 'Fix You' and one of her self-penned original songs 'Walk Away'.
She performed at the X Factor NSPCC Childline Ball on 18 October, again singing her original song 'Walk Away' and 'Fix You' by Coldplay, helping to raise over half a million pounds for the charity. On 3 November 2012 she performed at Casement Park, as part of the pre-match entertainment, for the Michaela Foundation's charity Gaelic Football match in memory of Michaela McAreavey. Janet performed for his Holiness, the Dalai Lama on 18 April 2013 as part of Irish charity, Children in Crossfire's 'Culture of Compassion' event in Derry.
On 12 May 2013 Janet performed a Pledger only concert at Greystones, Sheffield with a backing band consisting of Roo Walker (guitar, vocals), Jim Jayawardena (keyboard), Doug Harper (drums), Laura Kidd (bass, vocals) and Michael Giverin (mandolin). The second Pledger only concert took place at London's Troubadour on 13 May 2013.
Janet played 14 dates across the UK and Ireland, with her band, for her 'Imaginarium Tour' in September and October of 2013.
|Album title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|UK||UK Indie||UK Indie Breakers|
|Hide & Seek||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Running with Scissors||43||8||1|
|Single||Year||Peak chart position||Album|
|UK||UK Indie||UK Indie Breakers|
|"Wonderful"||2013||-||1||3||Hide & Seek/Running with Scissors|
|"House of Cards"||2014||-||-||-||Running with Scissors|
|"Creatures of the Night"||-||-||-||Hide & Seek/Running with Scissors|
As featured artist
|Year||Single||Peak chart position|
|2011||"Wishing on a Star"
(as part of The X Factor finalists 2011 featuring JLS and One Direction)
|"Wishing on a Star"
(The X Factor Finalists 2011
featuring JLS and One Direction)
|"House of Cards"||2014||Henry Steedman|
- The X Factor Live Tour (2012)
- The Imaginarium Tour (2013)
- My Delirium Tour (2014)
- "Birthday girl Janet Devlin back on form after a tough week". Belfast Telegraph. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin announces new record deal". Digital Spy.
- BBC News – X Factor's Janet Devlin gets top marks from headmaster
- 'X Factors Janet Devlin 'unaware' of supposed family connection to Nirvana's Kurt Cobain | News | NME.COM
- "Janet Devlin's YouTube Channel". Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "The X Factor – Janet Devlin". Xfactor.itv.com. Retrieved 20 June 2012.[dead link]
- TheXFactorUK (21 August 2011). "Janet Devlin's audition – The X Factor 2011". YouTube. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin won The X Factor vote for the first four weeks, with Little Mix failing to win until week 7 – see full voting results since week one". Daily Mirror. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "X Factor: Janet Devlin Topped Public Vote The Most". MTV.co.uk. 12 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- 25 November 2011, 16:48 GMT (25 November 2011). "Courtney Love offers Nirvana track to 'X Factor's Janet Devlin". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- TheXFactorUK. "Janet Devlin's audition – The X Factor 2011 (Full Version)". YouTube. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin @ G-A-Y (Heaven) London – Forget You". YouTube. 4 December 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- 17 November 2011, 04:39 GMT (17 November 2011). "'X Factor' tour lineup confirmed, Frankie Cocozza not included". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Review: The X Factor Tour Live, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle – Chronicle Live
- Coleman, Josh. "'X Factor's' Janet Devlin on the verge of signing record deal? - imediamonkey®". Imediamonkey.com. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Janet Devlin gets approached for a record deal". Sugarscape. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- My imaginarium | Crown of thorns[dead link]
- My imaginarium | Thinking back yesterday[dead link]
- My imaginarium | Who Am I Today?[dead link]
- Midas Maynard, Dean. "Janet Devlin teams up with Eliot Kennedy". Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- Listen to X Factor 2011 contestant Janet Devlin’s self-penned song! | The X Factor 2013 | Telly Mix
- Twitter / JanetJealousy: Two more great tracks written
- How I Survived Juggling Music and Motherhood | Helen Boulding
- Blog – Ethan Ash
- [dead link]
- Janet Devlin interview: 'I felt lost after The X Factor' – Digital Spy
- Janet Devlin gives fans chance to perform on album via PledgeMusic | Music Week
- [dead link]
- Janet Devlin Live (wonderful/crown of thorns) – YouTube
- X Factor's Janet Devlin rejects Cowell's cash and crowdfunds her debut album | Music News | Holy Moly!
- Dean, Jonathan (2012) "The Great Escapee", Sunday Times Culture magazine, 16 December 2012, pp. 24–25
- Janet Devlin: Debut Album | PledgeMusic
- New pledgers-only EP – download it now! | PledgeMusic
- Janet Devlin | Flickr – Condivisione di foto!
- Maroon 5 News
- "Janet Devlin new song 'Things We Lost in the Fire'". Music-News.com. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Hypertiny (2014-01-03). "Janet Devlin · Delicate · Videos · BalconyTV". Balconytv.com. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Hypertiny (2014-06-13). "AROUND THE WORLD #7 · BalconyTV". Balconytv.com. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Hypertiny (2014-06-13). "AROUND THE WORLD #8 · BalconyTV". Balconytv.com. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Hypertiny (2014-06-13). "AROUND THE WORLD #10 · BalconyTV". Balconytv.com. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "A front row seat to a backstage experience.™". Stageit. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Running With Scissors: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Janet Devlin | Steelworks Studios
- "Civic Reception for X Factor star Janet – UTV Entertainment". U.tv. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- X Factor 2012 ChildLine ball raises over £500,000 for charity! | The X Factor 2013 | Telly Mix
- BBC Sport – Stage set for 'Match for Michaela' at Casement Park
- "Janet relishes Dalai Lama gig", Strabane Chronicle, 8 April 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Pledgers Gigs | Janet Devlin.com
- "Janet Devlin talks about new album release". Strabanechronicle.com. 2013-10-03. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- repeat repeat off (2014-06-06). "Record of the Day". Record of the Day. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Janet Devlin debuts 'Wonderful' music video". Digital Spy. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "WATCH: Janet Devlin reveals video for new single ‘House of Cards’ « Pop Scoop! - Pop News | Interviews | Celebrity Gossip | Photos | Videos Pop Scoop! – Pop News | Interviews | Celebrity Gossip | Photos | Videos". Popscoop.org. Retrieved 2014-06-19.