|Born||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||Occidental College
Columbia Law School
|Spouse(s)||Mark A. Geistfeld|
Janette Sadik-Khan was the Commissioner of the New York City Department of Transportation from 2007-2013, appointed by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to replace Iris Weinshall. She is Chair of the Strategic Advisory Board of the National Association of City Transportation Officials.
Accomplishments as NYC DOT Commissioner
Janette Sadik-Khan famously converted a segment of Broadway into a pedestrian plaza, but this was part of a larger framework of wherein the DOT would paint, measure, then finalize street re-designs. The pedestrian plazas built by the DOT tended to be where streets intersected at non-right angles, as with Broadway, or where the space was under-utilized for parking, as in the early Pearl Street Plaza project. Under her predecessor, Iris Weinshall, traffic designs were finalized on paper and then built based on the AASHTO Highway Designs that have long been criticized as being tailored for rural and suburban needs. Under JSK, the NYC DOT worked with NACTO on street designs more appropriate for city needs and would do street redesigns with paint and temporary breakaway bollards, then measure changes in capacity and collision frequency and severity before repaving or making other permanent changes. Her DOT also issued the first strategic plan in the agency's history.
Janette Sadik-Khan is also known for her work in implementing the New York City's 1997 Bicycle Master Plan. In her first year as commissioner bike lane and sharrow painting doubled from 29 miles in 2006 to 63 miles 2007. In the following five years an additional 254 miles of bike lanes or sharrows were painted. She also installed the city's first parking-protected bike lanes on 9th Avenue.
Previously she worked at the Mayor's Office for Transportation under David Dinkins, the Federal Transit Administration, Parsons Brinckerhoff, as a Senior Vice President and was a board member of the Tri-State Transportation Campaign.
- Janette Sadik-Khan: Inside NYC's Traffic Command Center, 12/05/2011
- DOT's new boss a spokes-woman - NY Daily News, June 11, 2007
- Biography of Commissioner Sadik-Khan. New York City Department of Transportation. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- Grynbaum, Michael M. (March 4, 2011). "Janette Sadik-Khan, Lionized and Criticized". The New York Times.
- Neuman, William. "New Transportation Commissioner Is Named", The New York Times, April 28, 2007. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- Mobilizing the Region. "TSTC Trustee is New City Transportation Chief", May 3, 2007. Accessed April 1, 2009.
- New York Times marriage announcement for Sadik-Khan and Geistfeld
- "Deaths: SADIK, KHAN, ORHAN". the New York Times. August 7, 2007. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Archived biography of Commissioner Sadik-Khan from NYC.gov
- Janette Sadik-Khan at the Internet Movie Database
|New York City Department of Transportation
|This article about a politician from the state of New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|