Jangaon, Warangal district
|Elevation||382 m (1,253 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Jangaon is a municipal and biggest town in Warangal district of Telangana, India. It is about 85 kilometres from Hyderabad, on the National Highway 202 and State Highway 9 (Suryapet-Siddipet). Jangaon is spread over an area of 11.4 km² and divided into 29 municipal wards as second grade municipality.
Jangaon is located at  It has an average elevation of 345 metres (1,132 ft)..
The name Jangaon evolved from "jain gaon" which means village of Jains, a religion of India. Kolanpak (kulpak) in the Nalgonda district which is about 20 km from Jangaon is a famous pilgrimage center for Jain people and it has much historical background.
When the Jain religion dominated in India, most of the tourists from different places of India visited Kulpak. At that time most of the Jains settled in Jangaon, which was called Jaingaon at that time. Things changed from time to time and people started calling it "Jangaon".
As India census, Jangaon had a population of 1,17,270. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Jangaon has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 59%. In Jangaon, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Jangaon experiences a tropical kind of climate. It's a drought prone area according to Geological survey. Experiences very hot summers, moderate winters and rains less than the average precipitation.
Nawabpet cattle market is the second biggest market in Telangana state. The people here directly or indirectly depend on agriculture. Farming, farming related business, education, retail and wholesale business, handloom, weaving etc. are the major occupations. It is expected that the completion of J Chokka Rao Godavari Devadula Lift Irrigation Phase - II[when?], will boost the farming activity and also will provide fluoride-free drinking water to the area.
Places of interest
Jeedikal is a holy place where devotees worship Shri Rama, Laxmana, Sita and Hanuman. Devotees believe Shri Ram passed through Jeedikal in search of Golden Deer (Mareecha). Jeedikal Jatara is a biennial event. People from all over Telangana region visit this temple to attend the holy event. Kolanupaka was the second capital of the Kalyani Chalukyas during the 11th Century AD. During this period the village was the center of the Jains as well as the Saivites. According to literary evidence, it is the birthplace of 'Renukacharya', the great 'Veera Saiva' saint, believed to be born from the 'Svayambaghu Linga' at this village and absorbed into it after preaching Veera Saivam. Besides the Jain temple, other temples at Kulpak are the Shree Veeranarayan temple, and the Shree Someshwara temple.
Pembarthi, located 6 km from Jangaon, is world famous for brass artifacts. The craftsmen at Pembarthi follow the method of embossing on brass and copper sheets. Komaravelli is a holy place where devotees worship Komaravelli Mallanna Swamy. Yadagirigutta is a popular Hindu temple of Narasimha Swamy situated on a hillock, located about 35 km from Jangaon. Banapuram has an old Hanuman temple, temple of Lord Venkateshwara and Ayyappa Temple. At the time of Bathukamma festival women play bathukamma here. Sri Someswara Laxminarasimha Swamy Temple Palakurthi.
Tharigoppula has oldest temples like Nalla Pochamma Temple, Tharigoppula and Shri Chenna Keshavaswamy Temple, Tharigoppula located about 28 km from Jangaon. Nalla Pochamma Temple, Tharigoppula and Shri Chenna Keshavaswamy Temple, Tharigoppula was constructed by Arjula Dynasty Reddy Kings Arjula Jagga Reddy & Arjula Joga Reddy, muula purush for the Arjula Dynasty. Arjula Dynasty was Samantha Rajulu in Kakatiya Dynasty.
Sri Someshwara Laxminarasimha Swamy Temple, Palakurthy is 34 km from Jangoan on a hillock in the outskirts of Palakurthi Mandal headquarters. It is also the birthplace of famous poet "Palakurthi Somanadha Kavi" of 12 the century.
Jangaon is well connected with rail and road. National highway 165, and state highway 16 passes through the town. It is about 85 km from the state capital, Hyderabad, and 60 km from district headquarters Warangal city.
- Air : Nearest air port is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Shamshabad, which is about 90 km.
- Rail : Jangaon train station is on Secunderabad Kazipet trunk route. Hence, the town is well connected with major cities in India. The station hosts frequent train service to Secunderabad and Kazipet and to other long distance running trains. A Local Train service From Falauknauma to Jangaon is running daily. The station has Reservation facility as well.
- Road : The state's bus service provider APSRTC holds a bus depot in Jangaon with 120+ buses. It hosts very frequent services to Hanamkonda, Hyderabad, Siddipet and Suryapet and other long distance services to Bangalore, Anantapur, Hubli, Vijayawada, Kodad, Karimnagar, Nizamabad, Mahabubnagar, Kurnool, Adilabad, Guntur, Khammam, Bhadrachalam, Basara, Mysore, Wanaparthy and many other places.
All major banks are operating their branches in Jangaon.
- Andhra Bank, Nehru Park
- Andhra Bank, EC CJIT
- State Bank of Hyderabad, Bustand Road
- State Bank of Hyderabad, Municipal Complex
- State Bank of India, Nehru Park
- State Bank of India Hyderabad Road
- Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank, Bustand Road
- Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank, Court Road
- Axis Bank
- Canara Bank
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Corporation Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- IDBI Bank
- Adarsh Credit
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Jangaon
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- The Hindu : Life Hyderabad : Perfect setting
- Jangaon Information | Govt. Offices, Hospitals, Schools, Colleges, Real Estate, Shopping, Hotels And More Information | Banapuram Hanuman Temple
- Jangaon Information | Govt. Offices, Hospitals, Schools, Colleges, Real Estate, Shopping, Hotels And More Information | Ayyappa Temple Jangaon Images
- AAP Releases first list for T and AP | Siasat
- Jangaon (Telangana) Assembly Constituency Elections Results, Candidate Lists, Localities, Current MLA
- Temple Assets
- Thari Goppula