No. 21 St. Louis Rams
|Date of birth:October 29, 1988|
|Place of birth: Pahokee, Florida|
|High school: Pahokee (FL)|
|College: North Alabama|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 39|
|Debuted in 2012 for the St. Louis Rams|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 10, 2013
Janoris Jenkins (born October 29, 1988) is an American football cornerback for the St. Louis Rams of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of North Alabama and previously attended the University of Florida, but was dismissed from the team due to misconduct. He was selected in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Rams.
Jenkins attended Pahokee High School, where he was recognized as a first-team Class 2B all-state selection and a Parade magazine All-American as a senior in 2008. Rated a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Jenkins was listed as the sixth-best cornerback prospect in the nation.
Jenkins accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2008 to 2010. He became just the second true freshman in school history to start at cornerback on opening day. He was named to College Football News and Sporting News′ Freshman All-American teams. Despite his strong on-the-field performance for the Gators over three seasons, Jenkins was kicked off the team after he was charged with possession of marijuana in April 2011.
Jenkins subsequently transferred and attended the University of North Alabama for his senior year, after signing an athletic grant-in-aid to play for the North Alabama Lions football team under head coach Terry Bowden.
2012 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in||193 lb||32" in||8.25" in||4.46 s||4.13 s||6.95 s||33.5 in||10 ft 1 in|
|All values from NFL combine|
St. Louis Rams
In Week 1 against the Detroit Lions, Jenkins recorded his first career interception, returning it 34 yards.
In Week 12 against the Arizona Cardinals, he returned two interceptions for touchdowns against fellow rookie Ryan Lindley, becoming the first Rams player to ever return two interceptions for touchdowns in a single regular season game.
Jenkins won the team's Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award for his record-setting season. Jenkins tied an NFL rookie record with three interceptions returned for touchdowns, and is tied with Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman for the league lead. His four defensive touchdowns (3 INTs, 1 fumble recovery) led the NFL this season.
On June 1, 2009, Jenkins was arrested near a bar by Gainesville Police for fighting and resisting arrest after punching a man in the head around 2 AM. Police were forced to use a taser on Jenkins after fighting escalated. When asked why the fight started, Jenkins told police it was because he thought someone was going to steal the gold chain around his neck.
On April 23, 2011, Jenkins was cited by a Gainesville police officer and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. He was cited for the same violation in January 2011, and paid a $316 fine. He was arrested in May 2009 during a downtown Gainesville fight that resulted in probation and community service. On April 26, 2011, he was dismissed by the Florida Gators football team, due to his second drug related arrest in 3 months.
Jenkins is the father of four children: sons Janorion Jenkins, Janoris Jenkins Jr, Legend Jenkins, and a daughter Paris Jenkins.
- "Rookie Profile: CB Janoris Jenkins" St. Louis Rams. Retrieved 30 May 2012
- "JANORIS JENKINS". rivals.com. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "Sporting News' college football All-Freshman Team," Sporting News (December 16, 2008). Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Former Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins resolves marijuana charge," USA Today (June 1, 2011). Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- NFL Combine Profile
- NFL Draft Scout Profile
- "Rams begin recovery on bountiful second day of draft; more Snaps" Sports Illustrated 27 April 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012
- Mayer, Larry (2013-01-07). "Reviewing Bears season by the numbers". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Gators CB Jenkins arrested near bar". http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4221947.
- Edward Aschoff (22 April 2011). "Florida boots Janoris Jenkins from team". ESPN college football. ESPN. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- "Janoris Jenkins answers all character questions". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2013-10-21.