Cowen in December 2013.
January 25, 1991 |
Allan, SK, CAN
|Height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Weight||235 lb (107 kg; 16 st 11 lb)|
|NHL team||Ottawa Senators|
|NHL Draft||9th overall, 2009
Jared Cowen (born January 25, 1991) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. Cowen is currently a member of the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). Cowen was drafted in the first round, ninth overall, by the Senators in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He began his professional career with the Senators at the end of the 2009–10 season and joined the team full-time in 2011 after completing his junior hockey career with the Spokane Chiefs.
Cowen was selected by the Chiefs with the first-overall pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft. He appeared in six regular season games in the 2006–07 season and also six playoff games. In his first full season with the team, he played in 68 games, and had four goals, 14 assists and 18 points, to go along with 62 penalty minutes. The Chiefs won the Ed Chynoweth Cup that season as the league's champions. Cowen played in all 21 playoff games, scoring one goal and adding three assists. As the league's champions, the Chiefs subsequently earned a berth in the 2008 Memorial Cup, where they defeated the Kitchener Rangers by a score of 4-1. Cowen effectively clinched the Chiefs' championship by scoring into an empty net with 56 seconds to play. He was named the Chiefs rookie of the year, and the WHL Western Conference scholastic player of the year.
The 2008–09 season saw Cowen's numbers improve, as he registered seven goals and 14 assists. However, his season was cut short due to a knee injury suffered in a game against the Chilliwack Bruins. He still managed to be ranked as the fourth best skater in the final rankings for the 2009 NHL Draft by the International Scouting Service.
Cowen signed a professional contract with the Senators in March 2010. After Spokane was eliminated from the playoffs, Cowen received a call-up to the Senators. He made his NHL debut with the Senators on April 8, 2010, in Tampa against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Compared by some scouts to Zdeno Chara and Derian Hatcher, Cowen was expected to challenge for a roster spot in Ottawa for the 2010–11 season. Cowen made it to the final cuts at the 2010 training camp, before being returned to junior.
In 2011–12, Cowen made the Ottawa roster out of training camp and played regularly, being paired with veteran defenceman Sergei Gonchar. He scored his first NHL goal on November 1, 2011, against Tim Thomas of the Boston Bruins. As the season progressed, Cowen emerged as one of Ottawa's top four defencemen.
During the 2012–13 NHL lockout, the Senators assigned Cowen to their AHL farm team in Binghamton in order to give him the opportunity to play at a competitive level. He suffered what was expected to be a season-ending hip injury on October 6, 2012, in a game against the Albany Devils. Cowen underwent surgery on November 17, 2012, in New York to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. By March 27, 2013, Cowen was able to practice with the Senators and he was finally able to return to the Ottawa lineup on April 16, 2013, much sooner than initial estimate of six to eight months. His return to the lineup was a memorable one, as he delivered a clean open-ice hit 13 minutes into the game which caused Carolina star forward Jeff Skinner to leave the game and not return. Cowen later fought both Chad LaRose and Kevin Westgarth. "I think it's the first two-fight game I've had since junior, but I like it", said Cowen of his first game back.
One day earlier, on April 15, 2013, Cowen was among a small group of Senators' players who had planned on attending the 2013 Boston Marathon. Cowen and the other players had originally intended to be at the marathon's finish line during the time at which bombs exploded, killing and injuring several spectators and runners. Scratches for that night's game against the Boston Bruins, the players changed their plans at the last minute and elected to return to their hotel for a nap instead. "We probably would have been in that exact same spot, within a block or so," said Cowen.
As Ottawa's 2013 training camp opened, Cowen remained a restricted free agent. On September 14, 2013, the team announced that it had come to an agreement on a four year contract with the defenceman with an average annual value of $3.1 million.
|Competitor for Canada|
|Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament|
|Gold||2008 Czech Republic|
|World U17 Hockey Challenge|
Cowen helped Canada West win the bronze medal at the 2008 World U-17 Hockey Challenge. In the tournament, he had 7 assists in 6 games, en route to being named player of the game for Team West three times. Cowen was also an assistant captain on Canada's gold medal winning team in the 2008 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament as well as having been one of five underage players on Canada's gold medal winning team in the 2008 IIHF World U18 Championships.
Cowen was invited to Team Canada's selection camp for the 2010 World Junior Championships held in Regina during December, 2009. Cowen was selected to Team Canada for the event. On December 19, 2010, Cowen was named alternate captain for the 2011 Canadian Junior National Team to Ryan Ellis of the Windsor Spitfires, along with his fellow returnees, Brayden Schenn of the Brandon Wheat Kings and Calvin de Haan of the Oshawa Generals.
Awards and honours
- Wharnsby, Tim (May 30, 2009). "Cowen's health a question mark". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved June 21, 2009.
- "Jared Cowen, Senators". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Senators big on Jared Cowen - Ottawa Senators - Features
- #11 Jared Cowen – The Hockey Spy’s 2009 NHL Entry Draft Rankings - The Hockey Writers
- Ottawa Senators at Boston Bruins Game Boxscore - 11/01/2011
- Senators defenceman Jared Cowen to undergo season-ending surgery for hip injury http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2012/11/12/20351276.html
- COWEN, ANDERSON RETURN TO SENATORS PRACTICE http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419222
- Cowen Returns http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=16453&navid=DL%7COTT%7Chome
- SENATORS' COWEN HAS HIP SURGERY, OUT SIX TO EIGHT MONTHS http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409717
- SENATORS STAY SIXTH IN EAST WITH WIN OVER HURRICANES http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420966
- Ottawa Senators scratches feeling fortunate after making late decision not to go to Boston Marathon finish line http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2013/04/16/20747386.html
- SportsNet (September 14, 2013). "Senators agree to four-year deal with Cowen". Sportsnet. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Cowen’s Senators win Calder Cup; Shock activate Markee White - Spokesman.com - June 8, 2011
- Jared Cowen's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Jared Cowen's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- WHL Player Profile
|Ottawa Senators first round draft pick